Starting "72 650 after 5 yrs storage

corbshere

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the electric motor starter off and repaired (cleaned and dressed)/reinstalled (wasn't as bad as I thought it would be to remove) Basicly it was very dirty ,grimey and rusty inside,Changed oil/cleaned plugs,cleaned air filter. Motor turns over but I can't get the Bike to fire, seems to be gettng gas but.... I have no Idea if the carberation is right or if I'm even getting spark. I live in ottawa county michigan,anybody know a good mechanic that works on old bikes in this area of the State ? 1972 XS2 650 yamaha. I'm an electrician with mechanical skills,but I have no depth of knowlege on how to go any farther with my old XS ( motor starting wise ). I've got it cranking good...help! It hasn't been run in 5 or more years. I removed tank,had it cleaned and sealed,installed new fuel petcocks,and of course,.. new gas.

Clean the carbs if you haven't done so. If they had gas in them these past 5 years they're probably all gummed up.

Clean the carbs if you haven't done so. If they had gas in them these past 5 years they're probably all gummed up.

Ok To clean them I remove both carbs , then what am I looking for? or better yet once off,what is the next step? I'm anxious to try, but I am very weak in gas motor trouble shooting,I haven't done this before,and I'm exited to learn this! What in your opinion is the best cleaning procedure after I have the Carbs "in hand"?
Oh by the way Thanks for the help!

there are some good youtube videos on it as well. Just a matter of taking them apart and putting them back together exactly as you found them, or as they are suppossed to be. They were designed to be serviceable, right?

i just got a motor running (for how long, i don't know...), and it sat for longer than that, i think, though i put on clean carbs that i know were okay. And I never even owned a car, let alone a motorcycle last August. I'm just saying, it will not be beyond your ability.

OK I'm on it !! Carbs are coming off ......anxious to get started!! I'll keep you posted...By the way, that electric motor starter must have been located by an Engineer who knew that HE would never have to remove it!! 'o' ring seal on electric motor housing was corrupted and the motor was really contaminated. It cleaned up good and runs great! Thanks to the forums help on that one too!! Now to the carbs

yeah i made the mistake of putting my engine in without looking at the starter while i had it out... now it doesn't not sound very happy.

good luck

I'm suprised you didn't put the carbguide link up, 5twins. You must be tired, or tired of telling people.

In the tech section, scroll down to carbeuraters, and there are carb manuals for you. Everything you need to know, and then some.

Best thing to do is a MAJOR carb overhaul and Major tune up. This will stop a lot of tail chasing and hair pulling.Carb overaul, Camchain adjustment, valve adjustment, points clean, set and time. Check for power to the points and see if plugs will fire. If PO had installed electronic iggy prior to your ownership, praise your higher power and see if it works. and time it if it needs it. Who knows what butchered wires will be found and need to be fixed. Replace the fuel lines and add a new filter. I use "Seafoam" in my gas as a final fuel cleaner. Clean or new air filters. Check your fuses. Charge up the battery and give 'er a go. Use your foot the first time. You'll save the battery and feel REALLY good when it lights off first kick. You'll feel good if it takes 20 trys or resort to electric foot too, just not as good. Yes. read the carb guide first. Then a second time. biker.net has a free downloadable factory maint. manual.

Last edited:
Back