Starting my build!

beatnik2138

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Heyy everyone! Newb here.. be patient, constructive criticism welcome but please be respectful as Im very new to this. I'm going to be starting my build but I'd like to be sure I have everything I need. I have an xs-d my dad gave me. He knew nothing of the motors condition and it came on a hagard hardtail frame someone threw together. He had the bike for years and never rode it. One day he decided to get rid of it, I told him I would put in the work to make it a sweet ride! I decided a rebuild would make me more familiar with the motor and how everything worked. Since I've never torn down a motor or have done anything more then an oil change to my cars I thought this would be a good way to start. So I started tearing it down. We have a local mechanic that was willing to hot tank the top end for no charge. Parts were hot tanked in the process my cylinder head had been misplaced so now the cover is almost useless.. being a beginner machinist I have access to inspection tools (bore gages, micrometers, etc). So inspecting my bores and other parts that may need inspecting wouldn't be a problem so suggestions on what i should check would be appreciated. I just purchased a matching cylinder head and cover from ebay. One of the members here advised me to check the rocker lobes condition. Just got the pair in the mail the other day and removed the cover from the head. I'm not exactly sure what to look for as far as rocker condition but I've taken some pictures. The cylinder head and cover are from an 80's motor. I'm curious if my new top end will need anything different then what I have for the rest of my xs-d in the garage. The xs-d has everything the motor came with but the cylinder head. So my plan was to put the eBay cylinder head and cover onto the jugs once I've got all that I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Suggestions on parts and upgrades would be great! Thanks guys, also I will be making a build thread once I've aquire all the parts I need!

20170224_113727.jpg
20170224_113836.jpg

The Yamaha Service Manual was made for the exact purpose of things like engine overhauls. The service manual can be found if you do a Google search. I was just looking at one on the knucklebusterinc web site. The Haynes owners manual is good to have as well.
All the specs. for wear limits on pistons/cylinders/camshafts/valves, etc. are in the service manual.

Rocker arms look to be in good condition.

Excellent! Thank you for the feed back!! My biggest concern would be will my new cylinder head and cover work with the rest of my xs-day cam bearings and all? Also any suggested upgrades would be great! Thanks again retiredgentleman!

As long as you have matching numbers on the head and rocker cover, you should have no problems at all fitting the camshaft and its bearings. Its important that the camshaft is exactly centred as its installed, and the double set of bearings,on each end, must be installed as far inboard as possible to allow space for the camshaft oil seals (there is just barely enough room).
If the front camchain guide looks like its the old original part, the rubber has a tendency to separate from the aluminum backing, so it should be replaced with a new part. A new camchain is a wise thing to do.
Have a read in the TECH section....................lots of good information in there on previous engine work.

Back