Starting my first top end rebuild... need some pointers

reverendjack77

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Sooo, I lent my bike to a friend to take down to daytona... It's a 1970 XS-1 bobber. It was running like a top and when I got her back, the right cylinder was misfiring and pissing oil out of the exhaust... I'm about to tear down the top end and I'm wondering what you guys would recommend for tools and parts. I'd liek to get as many of my ducks in a row as I can as I'd like to ride the bike this summer, not work on it for weeks on end only to get it running before another new england winter. I bought a complete gasket set, clymer manual, and valve seals. I'm waiting to see the condition of the cylinders before I order piston rings. any other recommendations? tools? parts? hardware? anything would be a help. Thanks!

It's going to be a lot easier than you think. Don't order any parts until you're in there and asses everything - if not, you will always have to order one more thing and pay shipping twice.

Get an engine stand. $35 from TCBros. These motors don't sit solid on the bench.

Hand held impact driver. Torque wrench. Circlip pliers. Beer. That's about it beyond basic shop tools.

Enjoy.

I advise you to read through the Yamaha Service Manual (for you specific year). It has the specs for pistons, cylinders, rings etc. Let those specs be your guide as to what needs replacement. Available on line at places such as www.biker.net

Actually you don't need a engine stand. With the sump plate on the bottom of the engine removed, the engine sits perfectly on a 2x4 piece of wood. You do need a good sturdy bench to work on. With the engine just sitting on the 2x4, you can easily rotate it forward for work on the bottom (starter motor oil seals etc.) Thats how I did my top end overhaul.

This link to "leakless assembly" is chock full of useful info. Use a quality gasket sealer where required, such as Threebond 1104. It works where others may not.

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=EngineModified&action=display&thread=327

A good torque wrench is essential.

Take your time and do it right the first time.

Click on "Tech" top of page.............go down to "Tools".............read through "Homemade tools"...............lots of good stuff that could help out.

Another link to view:
http://www.mikesxs.net/xs650engine/index.html

Last edited:
Hi.

Totally agree with the other guys!! It´s a lot of fun.....IF you have the right tools. It´s also an easy engine to work on and the forum here is awsome. The backup is top-notch!!

Be prepared to buy tools along the way also. There´s always something missing in the toolbox once you start the tear down.
When I did my overhaul I did not have any gauges for I.D and O.D. Because of that I have no clue about the wear and tear of the parts but I´m planning to swap head next year again. If you want your engine to last for long you´ll need tools to take mesurement, otherwise it´s useless.

Good luck/BigBoreSwede

Just a little tip for when you 1st start the disassembly. Remove the 4 outside acorn nuts AND their rubber washers before loosening any of the other top cover fasteners. Loosen them all at once and the top cover rises, pinching the rubber washers in the stud threads and making them more difficult to remove.

And another ..... if you take the valves apart you'll find a hardened steel washer under each spring. This is needed so the springs don't dig into the alloy head. It will probably be clinging to the head due to all the oil on it. Pop it loose and remove it. If you don't, it can easily fall off and get lost (and usually does) while you are moving, working on, or cleaning the head. It is still available from Yamaha but they are very proud of it - it costs about $9.

Back