Starts but wont run

bmb454

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have an 81 xs650. I have cleaned the carbs and when i try and start it, it will start but only idle for a few seconds. If you try and give it the slightest amount of throttle it immediately quits. One time it revved way up and i had to kill it. Then it would only idle and then die out. Any guesses as to what might be causing this? I'm not very confident when working on carbs. Thanks!

I will work on your carbs if you will sort out my electrics...............
Just kidding, we are hundreds of miles apart.

Best guess is the idle (not idol) circuit is still clogged.
The best way to clean it is by removing the mixture screw.
This allows you access to the wee tiny orfices. Next best is remove the pilot/slow/idle jet and using aerosol carb cleaner keep spraying and blowing with compressed air till you see fluid coming from all three of those wee tiny holes. Do one at a time if you dismantle them and find a site with schematics so you can identify the parts.

Order of operations.
Is the cam chain tension correct?
Are the valve adjuster spacing correct?
Check timing with a timing light, (Take off the covers for the points and advancer to make sure nothing is broke)
Then you will know its a carb issue.

I did a compression test today and if you are sitting on the bike, the right cylinder has 150psi and the left has 145psi. I noticed that after I start the bike and it dies, then I start it again, and repeat this process a few times that the left exhaust pipe will get hot while the right side exhaust pipe doesnt heat up. Both sides have good spark and new spark plugs. Any idea as to what would cause that? Thanks!

I'm thinking the idle circuit on the right carb is still plugged or the sync is way off and that right carb is effectively shut off because of that. Are your mix screws uncapped so they can be removed for a proper cleaning of the idle circuit?

- - - (Take off the covers for the points and advancer to make sure nothing is broke)
Then you will know its a carb issue.

Hi Kathos,
good advice for a '79 or earlier but the OP sez the bike is an '81 which ain't got them things.
What he can do is swap the plugs and plug leads over.
If the problem moves to the other cylinder it's the ignition.
If it don't, it ain't.

About cleaning carbs, here's a naughty Limerick I've cleaned up to explain it:-
There was a young fellow from Spain
Who found cleaning carbs such a pain
Because it wasn't again
Or again and again
But again and again and again!

Been fighting that on my new to me 1981 XS650. It would sit and idle as long as choked but try to throttle it up and it would die. Found carbs to be clogged up badly. Cleaned them but still no go. Pulled the air cleaner off and sprayed carb cleaner into the four holes on the air intake of the carb and poked them out with a torch tip cleaner tool tha it is a lot better

Back