Stator/alternator disaster

ABill

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I decided to open up the stator case today , and some disaster occurred. First and foremost the brushes looked disastrous , hanging all weird and out of their spots . The cables broke , and the black holder shattered in a bunch of pieces . Things are not looking good , and I need some suggestions on where to go from here . As of right now I've got two cables without any clips , as these both separated and snapped . So right now I've got two cables , a broken black piece , and that's it . Desperately need some help to get this thing going again
20180502_174015.jpg
20180502_174023.jpg

Attachments

• 20180502_181724.jpg
    20180502_181724.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 141
What year is this 650? Is it a points or electronic ignition bike?

I might have some spare parts that will fix you up if I know for sure what you need. I'm located just west of Syracuse.

What year is this 650? Is it a points or electronic ignition bike?

I might have some spare parts that will fix you up if I know for sure what you need. I'm located just west of Syracuse.
Hey there! What kind of parts are you thinking? I want to get this going ASAP, so I'm looking to order anything I need by tomorrow at the latest!

From your pics it looks like the brush assembly is trashed and the tci pick up is missing. Got more pics/info so we can help you better?

If it is just the brush holder that you need I have that no problem. The pick-up not so much, only have one spare and that one is factory mounted with non-removable screws to a stator assembly with bad wires. In a pinch I could maybe repair them to use on my 1982.

So if the brush holder would get you out of trouble I can help with that.

kshansen Just a heads up; the TCI pick up screws, slot the head with dremel and remove. it works good enough I just use them that way.

If it is just the brush holder that you need I have that no problem. The pick-up not so much, only have one spare and that one is factory mounted with non-removable screws to a stator assembly with bad wires. In a pinch I could maybe repair them to use on my 1982.

So if the brush holder would get you out of trouble I can help with that.
That would be awesome. I'll send you a pm.

From your pics it looks like the brush assembly is trashed and the tci pick up is missing. Got more pics/info so we can help you better?
Hey! So I don't have any pics right now, but essentially I attempted to check the brushes yesterday and opened to a mess. Upon trying to remove the brushes, the holder fell apart and all of the tci bits were trashed. Realistically, idk where to start with this. Can I fix the wiring situation shown? They're just bare wires right now.

You'll need to install new small eyelet crimps on the wire ends. It should be possible if you can find the right crimps. Note the various screw lengths used (long and short). Make sure you use the right lengths in the right spots or they'll stick through too far and dig into the rotor slip rings. The brush in your pic looks rather short as well. Probably not a bad idea to replace them too.

You'll need to install new small eyelet crimps on the wire ends. It should be possible if you can find the right crimps. Note the various screw lengths used (long and short). Make sure you use the right lengths in the right spots or they'll stick through too far and dig into the rotor slip rings. The brush in your pic looks rather short as well. Probably not a bad idea to replace them too.
You think i should be good with those eyelets, a new holder and brushes then??

kshansen Just a heads up; the TCI pick up screws, slot the head with dremel and remove. it works good enough I just use them that way.

It's just that these screws appear to have been installed with epoxy on the threads, at least that's what it looks like. If I do find I need to replace a stator I could even just grind the heads right off this one and move the pick-up over to the stator with the good wiring. The pick-up on the "good stator" is held on with "normal" philips screws. Thinking it was either a replacement or off a pre-EPA engine?

I think those special "break-off" screws were only used on the 1980 models. The '83 I'm working on has normal Phillips screws and they looked untouched (before I had at them, lol). The parts diagrams list them from '81-on. The '80 pick-up has a different part # than all the later ones as well. I think that has to do with the slotted mounting holes which allow a small amount of timing adjustment. '80 has them, later ones do not. I may slot mine so I can change the timing a little (retard slightly).

I think those special "break-off" screws were only used on the 1980 models. The '83 I'm working on has normal Phillips screws and they looked untouched (before I had at them, lol). The parts diagrams list them from '81-on. The '80 pick-up has a different part # than all the later ones as well. I think that has to do with the slotted mounting holes which allow a small amount of timing adjustment. '80 has them, later ones do not. I may slot mine so I can change the timing a little (retard slightly).
So do I need to use those special screws? I cant get them out of there metal brackets at all.

What you have circled is a strain relief for the wire, that screws onto the stator I think. Should be clear how to get it off if you need it off. Regarding those breakaway screws on the pickup, with the stator off it's easy to grab them inside with mini vicegrips and back them out. You can also carve a slot in the screw head with a dremel tool and get them out that way. My '81 had them. I think maybe regular screws came with slotted pickups?

Last edited:
What you have circled is a strain relief for the wire, that screws onto the stator I think. Should be clear how to get it off if you need it off. Regarding those breakaway screws on the pickup, with the stator off it's easy to grab them inside with mini vicegrips and back them out. You can also carve a slot in the screw head with a dremel tool and get them out that way. My '81 had them. I think maybe regular screws came with slotted pickups?
You think i should be good with those eyelets, a new holder and brushes then??
So do I need them ? If I attach eyelets and a regular screw will that work?

All you need is regular screws (just not too long). The one(s) you can't get out of the brass nut(s) is probably corroded in there. Instead of breaking loose and coming out, it broke the whole brass nut out of the brush holder. For that reason, I'm a big fan of anti-seize compound. I already removed them and applied it to all those screws on the one I'm working on. Eventually, pretty much every fastener on that bike will get this treatment.

All you need is regular screws (just not too long). The one(s) you can't get out of the brass nut(s) is probably corroded in there. Instead of breaking loose and coming out, it broke the whole brass nut out of the brush holder. For that reason, I'm a big fan of anti-seize compound. I already removed them and applied it to all those screws on the one I'm working on. Eventually, pretty much every fastener on that bike will get this treatment.
Thanks! This is the clarity I needed. Some eyelets, regular screws, and I'm back in business. I'll let you know how it goes.

Back