Stator Wires…First of many new posts, starting from scratch..

KentuckyCandy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey Y’all. Just got my hands on what is supposedly a 79’ XS650. I have two engines to varying degrees of completion and bins of extra parts. Bike has a long way to go but I’m excited to start from the ground up and learn to weld/wire/etc! First post is gonna be about this clusterfck of wiring coming off the stator, the PO hadn’t touched it, he had too many other projects, so when I say PO I mean the PO before the PO before me.

Anyways, I attached pictures of what I got goin on. I’ve looked at some wiring diagrams and I seem to have an extra cloth insulated wire (Orange maybe?) in addition to the 3 white, Yellow and Green.

Then, at the connectors, he wired the main cluster together with the orange black and white wires, then has them splitting off into a POS/NEG connection, then a red and orange clip connector…any of this look normal or should I start from scratch before the connector splice? Thanks and lookin forward to posting more. I’ll attach a pic of the full bike too.

Anyways, I attached pictures of what I got goin on. I’ve looked at some wiring diagrams and I seem to have an extra cloth insulated wire (Orange maybe?) in addition to the 3 white, Yellow and Green.
The 6th wire in the alternator plug should be light blue (SkB as in "Sky Blue") for the neutral switch.
You can test it with a test light against ground first and then against positive. Should light up in neutral.

This diagram claims to be for the 1979 model but do not quote me on that. (we all know how reliable information is on the Internets)

Attachments

• wiring-diagram-for-1979-yamaha-xs650-5.jpg
    wiring-diagram-for-1979-yamaha-xs650-5.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 8
Back