Stearing head

whitey

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with the steering head,I just fitted new races and bearings,and tighten everything up and found I have a 5mm gap between the stem and crown,pretty sure it wasn't like that when I pulled it apart. The races are in as far as I could get them without damaging them.All ways grateful for your advice .

Attachments

• 20161026_160317.jpg
    20161026_160317.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 20161026_160317.jpg
    20161026_160317.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 161
near impossible to firmly seat the frame side races without an all thread set up or bearing installer to pull them home. Unfortunately the cheap HF type do not use a threaded rod to draw them together. but an all thread with nuts and washers set up using the old races (with a slot cut in them so they will come back out!) as guides will do it.

Hi whitey,
if you are certain sure that the outer cones are all the way into the frame neck (perhaps check with a dentist's mirror?)
The next thing to check is if you removed ALL of the old lower headrace from the lower triple tree and if the replacement inner roller cone is ALL the way down.

Hi whitey,
if you are certain sure that the outer cones are all the way into the frame neck (perhaps check with a dentist's mirror?)
The next thing to check is if you removed ALL of the old lower headrace from the lower triple tree and if the replacement inner roller cone is ALL the way down.
Ok thanks for the advice , the top race is sitting about 3mm outside the frame? but doesn't feel like it will go down
So how did you go Whitey? Have you checked the bearing outer for position?
Mate I might try and tap the top race down a bit more its sitting a bit proud of the frame,I'll let you know how I go.Thanks for that link,great info in it.cheers

Back