Sticker shock!

gggGary mentioned about the ladder being 3 - 4' higher than the roof where you set up. This is really important for stepping on and especially off the roof, makes it so easy and safe. Stepping off the roof onto a short ladder is surprisingly difficult. I use a harness and rope often now when about about 10'. You could also use a local tradesman if the wife is busy.

Yes to that
It is easier if the ladder is higher than the roof edge
If one has a load-- toolbox or roofing material fex on the shoulder going up.
I have climbed Homemade ladders a lot as well as others.
I have also fallen down once when i Worked Construction.
But was lucky landing soft on an Air condition bend instead of the Concrete floor .. Beside the bend.
I would go for a used one or make my own if lumber is available.
Storing it outdoors ??? Hanging at the garage wall ??
The prices look high .. For a standard item .

One of my sons had a work injury from a folding ladder that folded with him on it. He broke several ribs on front and back side. It's funny hearing him say that he'll leave the climbing stuff to the young guys from now on...

Last edited:
…..but Robert my good man….if your roof has a small leak, whaddayu care?

May I gently remind you that you live in ARIZona and so it won’t rain again for several years.

That will give you plenty of time to put a small cofffee mug under the site of the leak in plenty of time for the next rain “storm”.

N’est-ce pas?

But all seriousness aside, I do like my fibreglass lightweight extension ladder. It will enable me to go much higher than I am comfortable doing.

One of my sons had a work injury from a folding ladder that folded with him on it. He broke several ribs on front and back side. It's funny hearing him say that he'll leave the climbing stuff to the young guys from now on...

I had a neighbor at my last house, about my age, he did home remodeling. He was up on the roof of a single story house, not a high roof at all, but he somehow managed to fall off of it and he landed very badly. He had an amazing amount of injuries from that fall and a very lengthy recovery. I have a healthy respect for working at heights and this is about my limit. My last house was a two story Spanish style, with a tile roof. I thought I’d go up there once to address a pigeon problem, once I got up there and was walking around , those tiles rock under your feet and some were cracked and broken. I took a look at the long way down and said nope. :whistle:
I crawled back down the ladder and called a guy to take care of the pigeons. :laugh2:
And btw @MaxPete , we do too get rain…….sometimes. :p

Some "roof" work I did in your neighborhood Bob.
AZ3-12 041.JPG
Along the Mount Lemon highway back in 2012.

While I am a younger guy (31), I work off ladders for a living and still don't trust them. I own a little 8 foot that gets the few odds and ends done, but anything bigger, no way In hell. What I did was look at the cost of a new extension ladder, then I saved up an extra $150 and rented an aerial lift for the day. Just gotta plan all your roof work in one go! Wish I had installed the no clean gutters though. Next time!

Good ending to this extended ;) story !

Thanks! I couldn’t leave you guys hanging without knowing what I did! How would you get to sleep? :laugh2:

Bob's a now a member of the church of the ladder day saints.

No, I am now a member of Gary’s wheeler dealer club! I found 5 of these little beauties today, all within a 10 mile radius, I bought the one that gave me the best price. Retail is for suckers! :D

Be careful too... mind you don't fall and get your bell.... rung.

Will do buddy! I’ve done that before when I was much younger and healed faster! :thumbsup:

Just to wrap this up, this morning I found a nice used 16 ft extension ladder for a fraction of what I was first looking to pay for a new one. Picked it up, hosed it off and hung it up on a pre existing hanger in my garage.
View attachment 197318
View attachment 197319 :thumbsup:
@Mailman that looks like the same Werner aluminum extension ladder I have, its their lower "home owner grade" ladder. I love mine, had it for 12 years now and had zero issues with it and it sees a lot of use. I think you'll be way happier with that as opposed to a bi/tri fold ladder.

@Mailman that looks like the same Werner aluminum extension ladder I have, its their lower "home owner grade" ladder. I love mine, had it for 12 years now and had zero issues with it and it sees a lot of use. I think you'll be way happier with that as opposed to a bi/tri fold ladder.

That’s exactly what it is, thanks! I think I’ll be happy with it! It’s going to get tested today. :thumbsup:

Thanks Bob!
You made me get off dead center, posted and sold the POS folding ladder:laugh:, Oooh $15 more than I paid for it. On the hunt for a 20' extension ladder, with a good candidate selected. :sneaky:

Thanks Bob!
You made me get off dead center, posted and sold the POS folding ladder:laugh:, Oooh $15 more than I paid for it. On the hunt for a 20' extension ladder, with a good candidate selected. :sneaky:

Im just curious, have you ever used Offer Up ( The app ). It’s an online selling site that I have had great success selling stuff on. That’s also where I found my ladder. A lot of wheeling and dealing goes on there. Like I said, yesterday I threw out offers on five of them and just sat back and waited for someone to take it. Took about 30 minutes.

Back