Wanted - Stock air boxers for a 78 Special

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
With all the posts I see about guys using pod filters, does anyone have a set of air boxes for a stock 78 Special laying around? The guy who rebuilt my carbs tossed my old boxes saying they were no good and outfitted me with pods. I have my carbs tuned pretty good but I want the air boxes back on so I can fine tune them properly. The carbs were rebuilt using standard jets by the way. Also, I would need the bolts that go with them to bolt to the frame.

My zip code is 62285 if you are figuring shipping.

Thanks!

I saw those on ebay but hesitated on bidding yet. I need to email the seller for more photos. I figured I'd start with a post in the forum to see what's out there before hitting ebay.

The air box construction, hanging brackets, joint, intake gaskets with clamps were of the same metal design for both the 78 SE & 79 SF models. I went through almost the same mess my first time around. Remove-discard-replace with pods-reacquire-reinstall fall der all. The little vibration absorbing hanging brackets, rubber box to carb gaskets and rubber box to box joint in good condition; can be hard to locate.

The boxes changed to a plastic design with the 80 SG models and BS 34 carbs btw. (Not interchangeable). Blue

Click this link for the airbox assembly details:
http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs650se-1978-1980_model8684/partslist/B-10.html

Last edited:
Mine were the metal boxes. The boots that connected the two were held together by electrical tape and were not in the best condition. I wish the guy would have given them back to me so I'd at least have the rubber brackets and bolts.

Thanks Danno for the bump!

I have a set I just removed from a '79 Special. The rubber boot to connect the two isn't great, but everything else is fine. I'm in Northern California. Make me an offer, let me know your zip code and I'll figure out what it would cost to ship them.

DLD1

Don't know the year of these they came with a truck load of parts, but the two frames that were with them were '78's... they need a coat of paint but are in decent shape and all the rubber is good, and they have filters.

Attachments

• GEDC0518 (1024x766).jpg
    GEDC0518 (1024x766).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 107
  • GEDC0519 (1024x768).jpg
    GEDC0519 (1024x768).jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 116
Those boxes look like 78/79 SE/SF ones to me and seem complete with one question.
The forward hanging bracket mounts that join the battery tray & joined airboxes off
the frame? Blue

Back