Stock cables too long!

Nickyd

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just put new handlebars on my 81XS650 SII and just about all the cables have a lot of slack now. it makes for a messy looking front of the bike. the cable that runs from the master cylinder is huge as it is and now bows out in front of the bike lol, the throttle and clutch cable i have been able to work with but is still far from "clean". what can i do? can i buy shorter cables? if so where? and how can i tell if the cables im buying have the same connection sized and such?

Thanks for the help!
-Nick

There are no shorter cables available that I know of, unless you have custom ones made. Usually, creative re-routing will do the trick. First, re-route the wire bundles from your switch pods to behind and under the top tree. That will free up space around the key and between the instruments and tree for your cable re-route. The throttle cable originally ran down the right side of the neck. Switch it over to the left side to take up some of it's slack. Same with the clutch cable. It originally ran to the left of the neck, change it over to the right side .....

CableRouting.jpg

The brake hose may need replacing. It's a good idea to replace those old rubber hoses anyway with a one piece S.S. line. You can buy those in any length you need. Until then, you may be able to put one large gentle loop in the line over towards the left fork tube .....

BrakeLine.jpg

You may need to loosen the banjo fittings at both ends of the line and re-position the way the elbows point.

I had a shorter than stock clutch cable at one point years ago. If I remember right I got it from mikes..snapped it pretty quik and went back to a stock length quality one..

Back