Stock XS spokes?

73novaguy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHat are the stock front XS650 spokes from a spoked wheel made of? Are they cad plated steel or cad plated SS?

Steel. I'm not sure you can plate SS anyhow, if you did, it would eventually flake off...

I'm 100% sure they are not SS, as all the ones I find are rusted to crap.

Yeah poorly cad plated often the first part to rust, especially on the later bikes.

Alright, just questioned cause the ones I have, have zero rust but are corroded. I typically use Buchannon's on all my wheels, but have you heard any reviews on the SS ones Mikes XS sells?

The cad plating by design sacrifices it's self so that the steel doesn't rust. It gets gray and scaly before the steel starts to turn orange. I have no personal experience with Mikes spokes and several have reported they worked fine. Others have complained of the threads being smallish. Different batches, different vendors??? While not a tech guy things like spoke threads are stronger when the threads are made by rolling them into the spoke, it is cheaper to buy tooling to "cut threads" like you would with a tap. But a more expensive thread "roller" will turn out more spokes "per hour" The biggest difference between the two methods of thread cutting is the spoke diameter. A roll thread pushes in part of the spoke and the displaced metal "rises" between the dies. A "cut thread" only removes material. so for a given thread size the rolled spoke will have a smaller diameter. But like all things manufactured a quality producer with stringent QC is the safest bet.
Neither Mikes nor Buchanan say on their site which method they use...........

Appereciate the info Gary. I see your in Baraboo, I'm about a hour and a half from you in Boscobel. If you ever need some powder coating done or if ur in the area give me a call.

Anyone else have any feedback on Mikes XS stainless spokes?

I just laced up front and rear Mikes XS stainless on a 74 that we are restoring. Very nice. I would use them again in an instant. Nicely polished. Big Wow factor when done.:thumbsup:

I did a set of wheels with them over the summer. Very nice.

I've used Mikes regular spokes (ni-Cad) and his stainless as well as Buchanan's

MikesXS Ni-Cad spokes are great for a restoration using correct parts. They look nice when installed, but upkeep will be just as high as original, and they will tarnish if not kept clean. I used these on the back of my personal bike.

MikesXS Stainless is par for the course, not terrible, but I was never pleased with the looseness of the threads on the nipples. The finish is nice however. I've used these on several wheel builds due to cost considerations of the customers.

Buchanan's makes the nicest stuff around, with excellent customer service. The threads are perfectly fitting, and they include a special spoke lube to use on the threads that MikesXS does not. This lube is to keep the spokes from siezing to the nipples. A nice touch if you ever need to re-true your wheels. The quality is 200% better than Mikes Stainless if you ask me, which is a bargain since you are only paying double what MikesXS costs :laugh: Its like you get a free 100% :thumbsup:

Ordered Buchannon a few days ago. Went with the heavier gauge spokes. Ive always used Buchannon, but thought Id see how people liked the Mikes XS ones. Does anyone want these stock spokes, nipples, and washers? Pay $10 for shipping and their yours. I wired wheeled them down, they weren't previously rusty, just corroded looking so they in good shape.

Back