Stop Lamp - XS650 1978

MR16

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi
My stop lamp lights up everytime I touch the brake pedal or lever. I cant find any problem With the brakes. No ear in the system, good brakes over all ….. Any ideas ?
XS650 1978 -

I think he is referring to the indicator located on the face of the tachometer.

in the 1970s, some OEMs went through a phase where they felt the need for gadgetry and Yamaha was among them. Things like the headlight warning system (which tells you if your headlight has burnt out) and the brake light indicator are the type of thing you got back then.

So - in a nutshell, there is nothing wrong with your bike MR16. That red indicator is telling you that your brake light is working. If it fails to go on when you squeeze the brake lever - you’ve got a problem.

Pete

Excuse me, had to make a trip to the library. If you mean the switch is too sensitive, the rear brake switch is easily adjusted, the front I'm not sure ,never had an issue with it. But I have had to adjust the rear before. It vibrated and wiggled out of adjustment once and didn't turn the light on. Mine is a 79 sf virtually identical to the 78se

Thanks Pete.,didn't know about that. I bypassed my light checker some time ago when I started seeing the brake light indicator occasionally lighting up.The connector for the light and checker under the seat had not been completely plugged together from the factory apparently and was not getting the message.

I had an issue with the brake light when rewiring. I would turn on the ignition and, what I thought was the tail light would come on. 5T and I were trying to disconnect the tail light from the ignition switch, (standard set up), and hook it only to the light switch. My rear brake light switch was poorly adjusted and the brake light came on when I turned the ignition switch on. I thought it was the tail light and I led 5T on a fine chase trying to solve the problem.
Moral of the story? Check your light switches.

If you hit the brakes, front, rear or both and it comes on, it's telling you that you DO have a brake light. If it starts flashing, your brake light has burned out. ( If you take the bulb out and turn on the key, it will flash as a test to show the system is working. (On a 77. 78 is probably the same)

Back