stuck piston

b1broc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I bought a motor on here from the classifieds and it wont turn over i pulled the plugs and one has some surface rust and the other one is clean when i pulled the plugs they were in there tight how did this get to rust and is it worth trying to free or should i just open up the top end and put new pistons this is my baxkup motor i am currently rephaseing the motor that will eventually go in
i did see a slight oil leak in the head gasket

Posted via Mobile

Hey thanks man have you ever ran into this i know if it sat outside with no carbs and no pipes but it didnt i really hope theres minimum rust in there

Posted via Mobile

PB blaster is more popular but the odds aren't good did the seller state it was free? The best way I know of to put a bit of torque on the crank is to remove the LH cover and get a big pipe wrench on the INSIDE half of the rotor. Don't go wacko but if it is going to turn that will do it. But really, if it's stuck enough that you can't get it loose without heroic measures it might as well come apart, unless you aren't going to fix it. A complete lump is probably better than a lump in pieces...

When I got my first xs about 10yrs ago it had a frozen motor and I used Marvels to free it up. I put about 1oz in each cylinder and let it sit for a few days. After a few days I was able to turn it over with the kickstarter. You may also want to spray the valve stems with PB blaster. When I got the bike it was 100% complete but it still had surface rust in the cylinders. Even with the carbs and exhaust on you still have valves that will be open allowing the moisture in the air to attack the cylinder walls. Good luck and hope this helps.

Back