stupid question

huey224

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know this is probably one of the stupidest questions but you never know till you ask lol. when adjusting your jets,fuel screw,idle screw..etc..etc how to you count the turns like if you have a flathead screwdriver and your mark one side of the screwdriver black and turn the mark from 12oclock to 6oclock is that a half turn or a whole turn? I know prob a stupid question but i just wanna be sure thanks.

if your screwdriver or the screw turns 180 degrees (ie from 12 oclock to 6 oclock ) then that is half a turn.
A full turn is 360 degrees
Best way to visualize it is to mark a point anywhere on the edge of the screw then use that as your point of reference.
If that mark travels the equivalent of 15 minutes on a clock face then it has turned 1/4 turn (or 45 degrees ):thumbsup:

Yup that's a half turn and that's how I count; half, one, one and a half, two etc. LIGHTLY seat, never force a screw in. Screwdriver fit is critical. The little jet screwdriver from your local stihl dealer is a worthwhile investment, they fit a lot of the XS carb jets and screws properly.

sweet thats what i had been doing like id turn it 180 at a time and say half,whole,half,whole just maing sure i was doing it wright thanks guys!!!

Further to 3G's point, here's some spec. info on the exact sizes and JIS tools which fit
Mikuni (and other JIS) carbs parts correctly......

Mikuni CV Carburetor Tools - Correct JIS metric sizes

Some may have purchased and used the "Mikuni CV Carburetor Special Tool" set, distributed here in the US by Sudco and their retailers. This tool set is made to Japanese Industrial Standards and is composed of correctly sized metric tools for cross-point and slot screwdrivers along with hex sockets & wrenches to fit Mikuni CV Carburetors. Carburetors and tools to service them both made to same design and mfg'g standards work best together. Stringently correct sized tools are essential for soft brass jets & other JIS fittings.

Vessel Tools and other Asian makers produce JIS tools and can readily supply the sizes of the Mikuni tool set. The following are the specific sizes that are needed to service Mikuni CV Carburetors-BS Series Mikuni supplied to Yamaha XS 650 OEM 1970-83
(sizes are metric)

Slot drive: JIS #4 & #6
JIS #4 (width 4mm x tip thickness 0.6mm) JIS #6 (width 6mm x tip thickness 0.85mm)
Just these two sizes only service all Mikuni CV carb jets & fittings. (Two more #6.5 and # 8 can have utility on other Mikuni Carburetors.) Note: no part of the shaft or drive is wider than the tip. (As most "spade shaped" US drivers).

Cross point drive: JIS # 2 (suggested additions #1 & #3)

Hex Sockets: 6mm,9mm Wrenches: 7, 8, 10, 12, 14 & 17 mm's

I have sourced all the drivers from Vessel Tools and found them to be excellent whether of 1/4" hex drive bit or various handled configurations and variety. Good information on them can be found on the site of their US Distributor and their outlets.

http://www.vesseltools.com/

Back