Stupid wheel question.

Demin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '77 with the aluminum spoke 19" and 18" wheels.Did Yamaha ever make a 16 or even a 15" rear wheel that matches these or even a setr of chrome19 and 16's.I just can't get into the tall skinny rear wheel look.I like the hotrod look,skinny in the front wide in the rear.Not huge.I usually build my Savages with a 150 rear.I might even put a Savage front end with Savage wheels on it.

Specials came with Chrome 16 rear and 19 front. 150 is a bit wide for an xs650 swingarm, 130 is about as wide as you can go without some sort of offset.

A 130/90 looks plenty fat on the back of this small a frame, IMO. Anything wider just weighs more (one thing this bike don't need is more unsprung weight) and usually handles like a wheelbarrow full of concrete. Fat tire for fat tire's sake is for style, not performance in any way, so they are not on my "do" list. I even run a 140/90 on my Road Star. It's the same weight rating, lighter tire, virtually identical contact patch, taller (boy, does it need help with ground clearance!) and turns much better than the 150/80.

They did not make "shouldered" aluminum rims in 16"

I just ordered a Voodoo Vintage weld on hardtail.I just like the look of the 150 on my Savages.Might not go that big,just not into the skinny rear.Maybe for a boardtracker/cafe.I just like the old style.

Attachments

• DSC00414.jpg
    DSC00414.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 172
Actually, no. The '79 Special II had aluminum rims but not the shouldered type. This was the only year and model to ever come with them - 19" front, 16" rear spoked aluminum alloy rims - but not the flanged or shouldered type as used on the Standard, just a normal rim profile.

Thanks guys. I have a parts bike with those oddball wheels,and wasn't sure if they were xs or not. They are cool looking,think I'll keep em!

Yes, and rather rare too, being a one year, one model item. If I had a Special and was going to retain the 16" rear, these are the wheels I'd want. I just love alloy rims.

Back