Suddenly lost clutch

Reid

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just got back from a 120 mi ride, got 1/4 mile from home went to down shift and got a handfull of nothing. Made it on to the house gritting my teeth and shifting without it. After I stopped I checked the lever again and the cable isnt broken and has a little tension. I havent looked into it any furather than that yet, any ideas?

The lock nut could have vibrated loose and you lost adjustment. Check the worm gear end. The adjuster at the lever might have backed off.

Check to see if the cable has slipped off its catch on the inside of the engine case. That happened to me once after I had the case off and pushed to the side then rode about 100 miles.

Its strange the lock nut was tight, I adjusted the cable a little and back in working order. Put the bike in 1st rolled forward smooth as silk, throw the clutch away and locks up the rear all is well..... A coulple of hours ago went out for a little pizza get a mile or two from the house and no clutch again. A quick adjust at the lever to get my through 2-3 pulls later gone again. Thought I was good oh well wanna guess what im doing tomorrow.

Back story on the quipmint new worm gear assy from mikes, new clutches from ?, new thrust bearing from mikes all supplied by PO, clutch cable may be the origonal from 78 but its still attached to something. I did an od in it a few months ago and have verified and looked new then

I would pull the clutch cover next if the cable and worm assy are OK. I have had that bar lever adjuatment stripped and lost the clutch. The last nut that holds the clutch basket could be problem. Remote chance. For twenty bucks a new cable would be my first buy since the old one might down to the last few strands and streching. Eazy pull my choice 650central. Tourmaster not mikes. The basket nut should let you know the pressure plate will rub the clutch cover. If your old clutches were not slipping I would leave them be. Lots of different things can cause the problem. Seek and you shall find.

While you're inside look for hairline cracks on various clutch parts that might allow expansion/contraction as the engine warms and cools. A clutch only moves a few thousandths of an inch so the slightest extra movement anywhere can cause it not to work.

So today I pulled the clutch cover (planning an easy access cover mod now), and sure enough the basket nut had worked loose. So I hammered it back on with the old 18v impact while in gear this time... And after a few battles with the kicker shaft and spring I finally got it.

Hold/push the kickshaft in while removing the cover and you don't have a problem with the spring.

The little things will drive you nuts sometimes. Glad you got it fixed. Mine has developed a disturbing knock in the bottom end that I fear is going to take some time to sort out.

^Does it have the tab washer on it? It looks like that would keep it down enough to prevent what you were seeing. Bend up at least two sides on that kind of thing. I've found that one side often won't do the trick.

No it doesnt have the tab washer, according to my research (mikesXS) they were only on the 8x-up and mine is a 78. Should it come off again I will get another nut have them both shortened and jamb them together.

they were only on the 8x-up and mine is a 78.

A lot of times I assume all years are like mine, sorry about that. I wonder if the lock tab would fit on yours? I'm thinking clutch parts were compatible for a few years back. Very early ones had different splines or something I seem to remember.

Back