Sump Filter Guard

5twins

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
We're all aware of the sump filter issues, specifically the torn screening at the end where the oil intake port is. Apparently the suction right at that port is too much for the screening around it to handle. Many of us simply patch the tear in the screen with JB Weld. That's been working well for me but recently when I pulled one of these patched filters, I found it had torn again opposite the patch, on the backside. So, it seems patching the normal blow-out point simply moves the stress point somewhere else on that end of the filter. Heiden sells an aftermarket designed filter that seems to address that. While it still has screening, they don't put it around the oil intake port but rather space it away from it about an inch or so .....

pr921Rv.jpg

And if you look closely, it seems they may have also louvered or baffled the intake pipe inside the screening, maybe as a further step to reduce the force of the suction.

So I was thinking, maybe a tin shield or guard of some sort around the vulnerable end of the stock filter might be of some benefit. I don't think it would need to block off the oil flow 100%, just lessen it so the screening doesn't take such a beating. So, I had at it with some sheet metal angle, tin snips, and a drill. A little finish filing and tap-tap fitting with a small ball pein was also done.

I started out by making card stock templates which then got traced onto the sheet metal. I originally thought I would need two separate shields, one for each side but while laying out the first one, I decided to string the two sides together and attempt to just wrap it around the end of the filter. It worked pretty good .....

7rcCxFR.jpg

g9WzZlq.jpg

You probably noticed the numerous templates in the pic above. I discovered that the magnet position on the backside of the filters varies, sometimes by just a little but sometimes by a lot. The aftermarket filter also differs from any of the stock ones. So, several different length templates for the backside were required. The front side template is a "one size fits all", lol.

IWm8JzC.jpg

upIpy2L.jpg

v6DrM4y.jpg

Testing will begin with my next oil change and I'll let you know if this does any good or not.

I played around with making something like this in the past, but I did not continue around on the back side like you have. I used perforated steel like you can see in my avatar. I think I still have 2 unfinished units in the workshop - 1 was folded over like yours to be mounted with the bolts, and the other I trimmed up to be jb welded to the filter body. I will grab some pics when I get home tonight. I may still have a few pieces of the perforated steel to make an elongated one that wraps around the back.

I wanted something that could be easily removed so the screening could be inspected. That's the only way I'll know if it's helping or not.

5twins, have you ever used the heiden unit?

It's pricey but so are the standard sump filters.

Sump filter with cheapest shipping form Mike's XS = $44
Heiden filter with shipping to the US = $60

Almost seems like it's worth it if you need to replace though it might be different if you have multiple bikes.

No, I haven't ever tried one. From the amount of reports on them I've seen here, I don't think many in this country have tried them yet. I suppose if all my filter patchin' and foolin' around doesn't work, I may have to get one. I guess it would be worth it if it was a one-time purchase. But would it be? Do they fail too? Nobody seems to have reported it yet, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. Maybe folks are ashamed to admit they spent $60 on a filter that isn't any better than the $40 ones, lol.

And those $40 aftermarket replacements really aren't that good. In fact, I don't think they're as good as old used (and patched) originals. The new-to-me '83 I'm currently working on came with one. It was torn in several places and BOTH magnets were loose and falling out, lol. Besides patching the rips, I had to JB Weld the magnets back in too.

Here are the ones I made about a year ago. The full one was my “prototype”. I never finished drilling the mount holes though as I wasn’t quite happy with the fit. My second one turned out better and is currently installed on my ‘78 project. It hasn’t been fired yet but is installed on a new mikes “upgraded” filter. The second one in the picture is trimmed down and my intention was to Jb weld it to the filter frame. I think it would work best to be preventative measure on an un-torn filter.
811874D6-2756-40F4-ADDC-B9D4CC4B954D.jpeg

I will have a look if I have more material and see about making a wrap around version like yours 5T. I was not aware of the other side blowing out too. I like the perforated material to allow the oil to still flow well.

Well, that's kinda the issue - it flows too well at that end of the filter, strong enough to rip the screening. I don't think I'd JB Weld your perfed patch in place. Then you couldn't remove it to check if the screen had torn underneath.

This is all just an experiment at this point. Even though I'm blocking off the outside, the oil flowing inside will probably still be tugging in on the screening around the oil feed hole. This might still tear the screen. That's why I want/need to be able to inspect it.

We're all aware of the sump filter issues, specifically the torn screening at the end where the oil intake port is. Apparently the suction right at that port is too much for the screening around it to handle. Many of us simply patch the tear in the screen with JB Weld. That's been working well for me but recently when I pulled one of these patched filters, I found it had torn again opposite the patch, on the backside. So, it seems patching the normal blow-out point simply moves the stress point somewhere else on that end of the filter. Heiden sells an aftermarket designed filter that seems to address that. While it still has screening, they don't put it around the oil intake port but rather space it away from it about an inch or so .....

pr921Rv.jpg

And if you look closely, it seems they may have also louvered or baffled the intake pipe inside the screening, maybe as a further step to reduce the force of the suction.

So I was thinking, maybe a tin shield or guard of some sort around the vulnerable end of the stock filter might be of some benefit. I don't think it would need to block off the oil flow 100%, just lessen it so the screening doesn't take such a beating. So, I had at it with some sheet metal angle, tin snips, and a drill. A little finish filing and tap-tap fitting with a small ball pein was also done.

I started out by making card stock templates which then got traced onto the sheet metal. I originally thought I would need two separate shields, one for each side but while laying out the first one, I decided to string the two sides together and attempt to just wrap it around the end of the filter. It worked pretty good .....

7rcCxFR.jpg

g9WzZlq.jpg

You probably noticed the numerous templates in the pic above. I discovered that the magnet position on the backside of the filters varies, sometimes by just a little but sometimes by a lot. The aftermarket filter also differs from any of the stock ones. So, several different length templates for the backside were required. The front side template is a "one size fits all", lol.

IWm8JzC.jpg

upIpy2L.jpg

v6DrM4y.jpg

Testing will begin with my next oil change and I'll let you know if this does any good or not.
Nice work!

5twins, I like this idea very much. I'll be scrounging around for material to make one for a new unpatched filter from 650Central. Like to add that 650Central admitted to me on the phone that he gets his filters from MikesXS.

Scott

Yes, I think there's only that one aftermarket copy of the original filter out there. No matter where you get it from, it's the same part. As I said, I don't think they're the greatest. I think 2M compared the screening (somehow) to an original and found it to be coarser. I also think it's thinner which makes it weaker. I think it will tear easier even with the perforated sheet metal backing behind it.

Does this repair look viable, or should I buck up for a new filter?

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 285
I suppose that would be OK but the holes you punched in the sheet metal do look rather large if there's no screening behind them. Honestly, I don't think you even need the holes. You could solid patch that whole end of the filter.

A second filter is nice to have, along with a second sump plate. Then you will have a clean assembly ready to swap in at oil changes. You can then clean the plate and filter you removed at your leisure and have them ready for the next change. If you watch eBay, you can usually score a used plate w/ filter for around $20, often less.

good advice. A new filter in Canada is $43, plus shipping. I will check ebay, but again shipping to Canada, so prohibitive and exchange rate. The small holes I thought would be better than the big hole that was there. Maybe I will do it again, we will see.

Of course smaller holes are better than one big giant one, I just don't think you made them small enough. But like I said, I don't see the need for any holes in your patch, just make it solid. The filter is plenty big enough to still flow enough oil with that weak end blocked off.

A little rough but a better second effort. In it goes tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 293
Back