Supermoto wheels with a YZ490 swingarm

rokcrlr

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my DNA supermoto wheels and my YZ swingarm. Hopefully will do a mockup this weekend. I have to trim down the swing arm to fit the frame. For now I'm going to leave the thrust washers off as it will fit that way. I don't have bearings for the wheels yet, I need 12 wide and allballs only has 14mm . I'm trying to use the yZ rear axle. I may just make a couple sleeves for the XS axle to work in the swingarm. The pivot bolts are the same Diameter. The only thing I'm not sure of is the 3 1/2 inch longer swingarm.Hopefull pictures to come soon. Haven't took any yet. I'm going to have to cut the passenger peg mounts off, but I don't need them . Made some wrong measurements today.Wrong axle, good to go and bearings

Last edited:
Learned something interesting today.Since I'm useing a 1999 Gsxr inverted forks on this and the wheels I bought are from a crf450 . I can use the rear bearings for the front hubs to use the GXSR front axle. If I want use a crf wheel and hub with the stock xs rear axle, the front wheel bearings will work then. :). Dont know if this info is usefull for antone,but I thought I would put it out there

Ok from what I have tried now. The YZ490 swingarm is pretty much a bolt in. You have to use the XS650 dust shields, and they are a tite fit. The only thing is it is about 3 1/2 inches longer than the xs swingarm. Not sure what this will do to handling. I tried adding pics from my Iphone, but I can't get the site to work from it at the moment, mounting up my DNA supermoto wheel and tire. Both of my stock tires measure 23 1/4 dia and I'm using a pirille diablo 160/60/17 tire on the back.whick without air is 24 1/2. The passenger mounts have to be cut off for the swingarm to clear, but who needs those anyway.hopefull get some pics up soon. This whole thing is no good without pictures.

ttwp.gif

Yeah we GOTTA see this.

Posted via Mobile

Well I got one on here, have no idea why it's sideways tho,GRRRR

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
What's the smallest rear sprocket you can get on that? Looks like the carrier is as large as a 32 tooth rear sprocket. How close is the sprocket mounting face to lining up with the drive sprocket?

Looks like you'll be welding on some shock mounts. Not a deal breaker.

So far I have found 38t but There was a guy on thumpertalk awhile back saying he had a 36t, but I have't found one yet, My hubs are from a CRF450, so I have to look for gears for it then run a 18t front and you will be close to stock gearing. I think the ideal rear tire size would be a 160/70/17 for runout to compensate for the gearing as it is a taller tire,however I'm pretty sure that size is more for touring bikes and not as sticky as a 60 tires are..I have a 160-60 on there now and it is about 3/4 inch larger diameter than the 2 stock xs rear wheels I have measured. The distance between the rear sprocket and the brake disc is about 1/4 narrower than the XS. I haven't gotten any farther checking stuff. I only work on it now and then at the moment. To dang hot outside and I don't have a garage to work on it in. I'm going to use the brakes from a CRF for my rear, as it will already line up with the disc. I'll try and do some measureing in the next couple days for sprocket line up. The CRF is 520 chain and there are 520 front sprockets for the XS so that will help in getting things lined up

I don't like the look of the extra 3.5 inches of swing arm, So I'm scraping that idea for now, Unless I can figure away to get rid of 2".Has to come off the front.

Back