Surface Rust on Bottom End

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
My spare engine had a really bad sump gasket oil leak, which emptied the sump...twice (after refilling) in less than a few days.

As a result, that let my spare engine sit without oil for a few weeks.

I recent fixed the leaking gasket, but checked the bottom end...ugh...surface rust was starting.

Luckily it wiped off easily, but it made me nervous.

The engine turns over easy and makes excellent compression (150 cold) so is this a problem?

IMHO I would say no, it won't be a problem.
I assume that you are talking about rust on the outer surfaces of the crank?

It could be an issue if there was corrosion in the bearings but it is probable that there would have bee a residue of oil left which would have protected them.

If it was me I would run the motor and see what (if any) unusual noises come out of it.
The alternative would be to strip and replace the bearings.....but I'm sure that you have better things to do?

Well my plan for this engine; at least at my current income levels, is to swap it for the motor currently in my rider. My rider has 20,000 miles on it, and although I havent tested compression I imagine it isn't as good as this spare motor.

So, swap the motor, rebuild the original motor, swap again.

In the meantime I want that spare to be sitting pretty.

You have no problem...keep ,it oiled, warm, and dry...20 clicks is barely broken in...ride the shit out of it....if it isn't broke ...don't fix it....35 years and have never had to push one XS home yet.!..wish I could say that about all my Hardley-go Davidsons....!
With two good engines you are good to go for.....a long time...

Maye a new camchain and front chain guide for the 20k motor.

Back