Suzuki's 650 paralell twin, the GR650 Tempter

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
My cousin has a Suzuki 650Tempter, which bears more than a close resemblance to an XS650 Special. Just slightly modernized with Full Floater rear suspension, a variable mass flywheel (!), a DOHC valvetrain, electronic ignition, etc. I have worked a bit on it, just minor stuff like changing stator windings, voltage regulator, tyres, oil and filters. It rides "softer" than an XS, both suspension wise and engine wise. Definitely more comfort oriented than my 77 XS in stock form.

What I am really curious about, is if anyone ever did any serious performance mods to these Suzuki twins

I have looked for them before. They seem to be very rare. They were supposed to be an excellent bike. If I’m remembering correctly , at the same time that 650 twin was out, Suzuki had a 550 four cylinder and their 750 four cylinder and that little 650 twin probably languished in the showroom floor. Pity really.

I've got one, partially disassembled. They are fascinating bikes. They are light. Around 400 pounds plus change. Suzuki claimed 50 HP (?) and with the variable mass crankshaft they pull easily from low revs. At higher revs the heavy "auxiliary" flywheel releases for snappy engine response. Even the camshafts are hollow. It didn't catch on. I think, mainly because of some styling and marketing mistakes. Examples include the Dreadful name (Tempter) clunky oversize tail light, smallish overly sculpted tank, fat instrument pod, and massive two-tier seat. Testers grumbled about these and lamented that it was, otherwise, mechanically, a great bike. Some customized examples look quite nice IMHO. Performance? I tell ya, I researched this for a while and found very little. Lack of aftermarket support is a problem. I've read a comment from a foreign blogger (these bikes did better in Europe) who said the crankshaft did not lend itself to racing. If I ever tackle this bike as a project I would go mild and shoot for an honest 50 to 60 HP. I think that wouldn't be too hard. Deck the barrels for a modest raise in compression, Jet-kit (they're still around) replace the double walled exhaust. You would have to improvise a set and add a less restrictive muffler(s), "cheater" grind the cams--Mega cycle, possibly, because the cams are identical in size to cams used in the GS 500 twins, which they grind. Some have also suggested boring the cylinders to accept larger pistons. So, you would wind up with something that you could make to look like a current retro british twin, like a Royal Enfield, but 80 pounds lighter and with more HP. I suspect a stock Tempter would outrun many of these retros.

I've got one, partially disassembled. They are fascinating bikes. They are light. Around 400 pounds plus change. Suzuki claimed 50 HP (?) and with the variable mass crankshaft they pull easily from low revs. At higher revs the heavy "auxiliary" flywheel releases for snappy engine response. Even the camshafts are hollow. It didn't catch on. I think, mainly because of some styling and marketing mistakes. Examples include the Dreadful name (Tempter) clunky oversize tail light, smallish overly sculpted tank, fat instrument pod, and massive two-tier seat. Testers grumbled about these and lamented that it was, otherwise, mechanically, a great bike. Some customized examples look quite nice IMHO. Performance? I tell ya, I researched this for a while and found very little. Lack of aftermarket support is a problem. I've read a comment from a foreign blogger (these bikes did better in Europe) who said the crankshaft did not lend itself to racing. If I ever tackle this bike as a project I would go mild and shoot for an honest 50 to 60 HP. I think that wouldn't be too hard. Deck the barrels for a modest raise in compression, Jet-kit (they're still around) replace the double walled exhaust. You would have to improvise a set and add a less restrictive muffler(s), "cheater" grind the cams--Mega cycle, possibly, because the cams are identical in size to cams used in the GS 500 twins, which they grind. Some have also suggested boring the cylinders to accept larger pistons. So, you would wind up with something that you could make to look like a current retro british twin, like a Royal Enfield, but 80 pounds lighter and with more HP. I suspect a stock Tempter would outrun many of these retros.

Link to an owners blog, it seemed like a pretty good bike.

http://www.davidreiss.com/Tempted.htm
1198961F-C9B6-446A-B9B2-370E49567CB4.jpeg
C2F828E8-F545-4908-81B0-8ED44F275822.jpeg

Back