Swapping Cam Chain Tensioners

OakBehringer

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Been searching, no solid results. Has anyone tried putting a latter model cam chain tensioner in an early model engine with a 6-hole plate? The tensioner arm was the wheel/sprocket type through 73. In 74 the arm type was introduced. Both years (73 and 74) have the same part numbers for their cylinders. There could obviously be more to the equation than this, but I'm tired as hell and thought I'd open it up for discussion. Proceed :)

Adam

p.s. This would be a desirable swap as the wheel/sprocket type is no longer available.

I don't think there would be a problem fitting the later 6 hole plate and adjuster, the problem would probably be mounting the new blade type tensioner. It mounts down in the engine block, your current sprocket style mounts to the back of the 6 hole plate. The mounting holes needed may not be present down in your block.

LateTensioner.jpg

Oh snap, it does? I'll have to take some pics tomorrow, but there definitely is some sort of plate mounting a blade-type guide (albeit shorter) in what looks like the same spot. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they replaced the shorter one with that blade assembly.

XS1s, 2s and TX650s had a much shorter guide mounted in the same place.

XS1s, 2s and TX650s had a much shorter guide mounted in the same place.

Yeah - Pray to god the large tensioner pictured above can simply replace the short guide and the wheelie tensioner. It's starting to look like it can.

Does anyone have measurements for the guide pictured above? Or just an old one they can send me to test fitament?

Back