Swingarm question

pwizl

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
First post, Woohoo! I'm not sure of the exact term for this part, but it's the part on both sides of the frame that the swing arm and foot controls attach to. I'll call it a gusset. Does that piece provide anything structurally to the frame or is it just a big triangle lookin thing to attatch the swingarm and foot controls to? I looked at it pretty closely and doesn't really seem to be doing much besides hanging out and providing a nice solid mount for the swing arm. The reason I'm asking is because I want to move the rear tire back about 4-6 inches so I'm going to be either fabing a new swing arm mount or cutting the stock one off and flipping it around to the back side of the frame and re-welding it. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks

Gussets and triangles are usually put there to increase stiffness. You could move/change them, but be sure to provide at least as much strength as the original design. But the swingarm mod is probably easier and quicker.

I'm going to be using a XT550 swingarm for suspension design reasons, in particular the loacation of the shock mount on that swingarm, so the legthen idea, although a great one, isn't going to work for me. Plus I like things that are different and not really done so I want to try to flip the gussets around. I do understand and agree with the need to have something there in it's place, so I'll need to work on that. If it doesn't work flipping them then I'll have to fab something but the sadist in me wants to try. We'll see!

Back