Switch a separate reg and rectifyer for a combo

scharny61

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,
how much is involved in converting a bike with a separate regulator and rectifyer with one that is combined. The bike is an 80 special (Aussie issue) with the wiring of a 79sf-2f. I ask because I've heard that the solid state combo is better.
Also, anybody know where I can get a colour wiring diagram for this bike?
Great site and good people.

Hi all,
how much is involved in converting a bike with a separate regulator and rectifyer with one that is combined. The bike is an 80 special (Aussie issue) with the wiring of a 79sf-2f. I ask because I've heard that the solid state combo is better.
Also, anybody know where I can get a colour wiring diagram for this bike?Great site and good people.
tech section, electricial, some wiring diagrams...

combo reg/rec not that much difference in wiring, there are several threads about how to change over, here is the wiring differences

Attachments

• reg rec.PNG
    reg rec.PNG
    20 KB · Views: 77
Hi all,

Instead of buying a combo unit, why don't you buy an automotive NOS solid state regulator such as the "Standard VR-115", and replace the old rectifier with 2 bridge rectifiers. With the 1979 year wiring, you have one brush grounded, which works just fine with the VR-115.

I prefer to have separate rec and reg, so that you only have to replace one component if you have a failure.

Hi all,

Thanks, thats helpful.
cheers

Instead of buying a combo unit, why don't you buy an automotive NOS solid state regulator such as the "Standard VR-115", and replace the old rectifier with 2 bridge rectifiers. With the 1979 year wiring, you have one brush grounded, which works just fine with the VR-115.

I prefer to have separate rec and reg, so that you only have to replace one component if you have a failure.

Thanks retiredgentleman. I've already bought the combo, so I wanted to utilize it, especially if it's better than the old setup.
But thanks anyway.
cheers

Back