Tach for 277 Pamco/Pandemonium ignition

RoscoeP

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Have a 71 XS650 rephased to 277 and using a Pandemonium ignition with 2 "green monster" single coils and am trying to find out what tach would work with this setup? Have searched through various forums,used search bar and can't seem to find a definitive answer.....From what I understand this ignition is a "waste spark" type which is making finding a compatible tach quite confusing...Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! Picture of your project may appease the nosey guys here.

Welcome to the forum! Picture of your project may appease the nosey guys here.
20210307_114931.jpg

I thought 71's had a mechanical tach, so crank phase and ignition don't much matter. Air filters must be on the bench.

I am not familiar with your ignition, but it sounds like any other battery powered ignition (Dyna, Boyer, Pamco, Newtronics, etc) Which all operate just like points igni tions. So pretty much any electronic tach should work. And most can be set to any number of pulses per crankshaft revolution (0.5, 1 or 2 being most common)
The tach pulse wire is connected to the negative (points or black box side) terminal on one coil. And is supplied +12VDC from the ignition lock.
As for what brand, and what electronic speedo to buy, it comes to personal taste and budget.
KOSO, Daytona, Acewell, Motogadget, Veypor, Trailtech all have good alternatives

Nice bike.
I have the bottom half of a rephased motor on the bench now. Built by a po who did not finish it so I want to split the cases to check his work before going any further.

Nice bike.
I have the bottom half of a rephased motor on the bench now. Built by a po who did not finish it so I want to split the cases to check his work before going any further.
Thanks. Yep peace of mind is way cheaper than having to go back and redo it after it's assembled

Welcome to the forum, RoscoeP.

Have a 71 XS650 rephased to 277 and using a Pandemonium ignition with 2 "green monster" single coils...

...From what I understand this ignition is a "waste spark" type ...

Nope, a "waste spark" ignition would be using a single, dual-output coil, firing both spark plugs simultaneously. Can only use that on a 360° engine.

You have 2 independent coils, for your rephased engine...

Welcome to the forum, RoscoeP.

Nope, a "waste spark" ignition would be using a single, dual-output coil, firing both spark plugs simultaneously. Can only use that on a 360° engine.

Yep ,got her all sorted out and running pretty sweet. Once the weather and my work schedule cooperates she's going for some good test runs to work out any bugs.

That statement is only valid for a cam triggered ignition, like Pamco etc.

A crankshaft triggered ignition, either it is for a 360 crank (one single pickup, one dual tower coil), or for a 270/277 crank ( two pickups, two independent, single coils) will be wasted spark. Like the CDI systems from VAPE (formerly Powerdynamo/ MZ-B)

Back