Taking out my starter...

madjap

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Here goes. Looking for some info on deleting the starter from my xs2. I'm going with just a kickstart. I've read several of the forum topics on this but I'm still unsure, so I'm BAAAACK to see if you folks can help me comprehend.
Today, I pulled the (I'm using terminology from my Clymer manual, some profanity, some English, maybe some Arabic...) geartrain cover (#23 in my book). I took out the idler gear cluster (#'s 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 in my book). then I unbolted and dropped my starter. SO NOW, is that ALL I have to remove to 'delete' my electric starter? I plan to get the Mikes plug for the starter hole. I kept seeing (on this topic) that I CAN remove some other parts after pulling the right side cover from the engine, but do I NEED to? If so, what am I removing? I want to eliminate the starter motor but still be able to kick start the bike. I was attacked and sodomized by an xs2 electric starter, so you can see WHY I want to delete it. I mean, ONCE is one thing... Ok, whatcha got?

Just take out the starter its self.you might want to use it some day. u don't have to take out that other stuff. the next buyer might want it.
But, if you must, I think there is a transfer bar that runs from the rite side to the left. you might have to split the cases for that.

Just take out the starter its self.you might want to use it some day. u don't have to take out that other stuff. the next buyer might want it.
But, if you must, I think there is a transfer bar that runs from the rite side to the left. you might have to split the cases for that.

Oh, so I should leave the idler cluster stuff in? Cool! I'm good with that. Have you done this mod yourself? thanks! mad

Lol mr2, I saw the same thing 1st time. Glad it's not just me.

Why would anyone split the case unless that little cross bar mentioned above had to come out. Only reason I read this thread and a few more on the early elec. starter is the hand grenade sized hunk under the engine has some weight that might be unbolted and removed....to save weight. I'm amazed by how much weight can me removed as of my last tally and keep the great looks of this bike in tact. How much does the motor weigh? Lol.

Back