Talk me out of it. Please.

Yeah, she's prone to the same random thoughts I am. I spoke with her about it and the only real option is to just deal with the Bolt at least until it's paid for. She was out of work for a while and had to take a couple (3 actually) much lower paying jobs until she found a better situation.

She's back near where she was when she got pushed out of her old job by nepotism, but still working an extra weekend job to recover from the losses she incurred while working interim jobs. "Adulting" as she calls it, can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

Building two extra rooms in the basement of her new house so Grandson, Gal-Pal and their new baby can live in Mom's Basement (cliche'? What cliche'? ) ain't helping. I'm doing as much of that as I can to help with cost. Paid for and installed all the electrical for starters.

Maybe time I take my Roadstar (aka the couch) in for a trade in. Man, you guys sure do like to spend my money lol!!! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Try it, you'll like it! Seriously, I've owned a bunch of street legal bikes in the last 50-odd years and this one is far and away the best ever. (And that includes a Gold Wang!)

(edited, not as many street bikes as I thought. LOT of dirt only beaters in there somewhere...)

Last edited:
Thinking here...
Honda 90
Kawasaki 125
Honda 305 Scrambler
Yamaha RT360
Kawasaki W650
Yamaha RD350
Yamaha XS650 ('74)
Yamaha SR500
Honda XL500
Honda Goldwing
Yamaha XS750
Another Honda XL500
Yamaha XS650 ('79)
Suzuki GT550
The FJ

Thinking here...
Honda 90
Kawasaki 125
Honda 305 Scrambler
Yamaha RT360
Kawasaki W650
Yamaha RD350
Yamaha XS650 ('74)
Yamaha SR500
Honda XL500
Honda Goldwing
Yamaha XS750
Another Honda XL500
Yamaha XS650 ('79)
Suzuki GT550
The FJ

I don't have enough paper.... :confused::whistle:

Was 45F with mist and fog this morning, YUP riding weather!! woot woot! Got to give the Buell 1125R a 5 miles test run bald front tire and all. Managed to keep it under a hunnert but just barely. Danerous fun. I'll guess kinda like an 09 with rough edges. New tire's on the way. Temps are plummeting now, just passed 35F, on the way to 16 tonight, winters back.

Maybe a good time to really have a good look at why buy on credit...Saving the money to buy something means we miss out on the short term.........once the money has been accumulated for the purchase then it owned.........any money used to pay off something can still be saved to buy a future purchase.......No interest payed to finance institutions so all money retained and is a saving that can be used for another purchase.

By thinking ahead and saving as if your paying off something then a future purchase is not far away

In this case the loss would be acceptable and also have control over your own situation......at the moment the finance company has control.

Sure it takes a couple of years to break the cycle and there can be a feeling of missing out.........But........That feeling has been pushed onto us by the thinking we can have it now and pay later.........And we do pay for that way of thinking.

Just an example and not an accurate summery.

Save $5000.......@$60 per week .......Roughly 83 weeks

Buy a bike for $5000 with a deposit of $1000 dollars and paying off $4000 over 3 years at $60 per week.

$1000 Deposit Takes 16 1/2 weeks

$4000 payed off over 156 weeks = $9360

So instead of 83 weeks and having $5000 you now have taken 172 1/2 weeks and spent $10,360.

Figures may be exaggerated but the analogy is the same

The beauty of saving is, as the money is saved before a purchase it is making a small amount of income instead of costing double what it is worth in interest.......And if that situation arises like the redundancy then there is no pressure as a saving for future purchase can be used for the interim and there is no outgoing to the finance company............(house purchase not in this category).......and the bike, if it has to be sold, then the loss is only the depreciation from purchase and not a penalty clause on top and the full interest as well.........also any money from the sale can go straight into the next purchase. If it has been a year since the bike was bought and if it is worth 1/2 of the purchase price you have the $2500 + $3120 from the 52 weeks of saving the $60 per week.

So you now have $5620 after 135 weeks......original $5000 @83 weeks + 52 weeks @$60 for the $3120............

a loss of $2500 over 135 weeks + $5620 to repurchase........

instead of a loss of $8800 over 172 weeks and $2500 for a repurchase
This is the lesson that should be learned

Last edited:
@650Skull - I know that. You know that.

I have not, in many MANY years of trying, been able to get my daughter to see that. She has been ass-over-teakettle in debt since she left home and got married at 19. She's 52 now...

I would trade a scorpa 4tricks for a buell 1125! Id trade all my bikes for that kewl bike...sorry, i was reading thread and saw mention of the 1125.

- - - I just use a top box for around town as in my view a senior with a back pack is just wrong. - - -

Hi lakeview,
wrong for anyone, not just us seniors.
Some folks consider that white patent leather accessories are an OK fashion statement but riding with a backpack on is just plain hazardous for anyone.
The last thing a rider needs when sliding down the street after falling off his bike is 20lbs of miscellaneous stuff strapped to his back to upset his balance, add to his momentum and damage his body.

@650Skull - I know that. You know that.

I have not, in many MANY years of trying, been able to get my daughter to see that. She has been ass-over-teakettle in debt since she left home and got married at 19. She's 52 now...

You did ask for reasons to talk you out it.........

Your daughter is your family, as we all would we help out and doing renovations a such is what we do.............Taking on her dept because she has made a poor choice and doesn't want to change her way is not helping your daughter.........So i say no don't take on her debt and that is what you would be doing

Back