Tango & Cash Build Thread

Opened up my mailbox this morning to find a package I have been waiting for, for the past 40 days. Was happy that it arrived at all. Inside was this:

Cotton Braided Wire.

IMG_3855-M.jpg

IMG_3858-M.jpg

Ordered the wire on the 5th of October over the web. Hoped for it to be on hand for the originally planned arrival of Tango and brother Frank, the electrical expert in the family. In a way, lucky that trip got delayed because the package was no where to be found. Finally I contacted PayPal and sent a complaint. Sincerely hope I ordered enough of each type and gauge needed to build a new "minimalist" harness for Tango because the last thing I want to do is engage with that company again.

I really like cotton braided wire. The '52 Harley had the old school version and it looked great. Thought it would be a nice addition to Tango.

Still waiting on Tango to arrive in Georgia. Been talking with the brothers about a trip down pre-Thanksgiving.

I would not say Cash was a barn find. More like a basement find. Pulling up to a old school house, I saw 2 men sitting on folding chairs in front of the rear entrance. Looking in, I could see a 2 x 6 board laying on the steps. One of the guys said, "its down there and it will take all 3 of us to push it up". Cash was actually parked in the boiler room, one of two rooms that had been converted to a basement apartment. The other room that used to be the school maintenace room, was converted to a mc shop. We pushed the bike up the 2x6 and the previous owner hopped on. He cranked it 3 times and it started up. I was thrilled and reached for the $350 we had earlier agreed upon.

I am new to the 650's. I will rely heavily on this website to do this build.

I would not say Cash was a barn find. More like a basement find. Pulling up to a old school house, I saw 2 men sitting on folding chairs in front of the rear entrance. Looking in, I could see a 2 x 6 board laying on the steps. One of the guys said, "its down there and it will take all 3 of us to push it up".

I know the school. It's been abandoned for at least 30 years. At this point, weren't you a little concerned that those guys were going to take you down, steal your cash, have their way and bury you like a John Wayne Gacy re-enactment?

Believe me, compared to picking up the TX500 & 175, Cash's purchase day was calm. When Frank & I made that trip last year up to Gary, it was a dark & cold night. There were no lights on a no outlet lane, surrounded by woods that dead ended into a railroad track. We were following this guy on foot who was leading us to a barn. This guy was odd...I'll just say that. Have you ever been in a situation when you wished you had packed some heat? Well, this was one of those situations. Things were just uncomfortable. This guy was a hoarder who we also found constantly stretching the truth. Dave, I know you don't own a TV, but you other guys may have watched the TV show "Hoarders". This guy could of been on that show. It's a Craigslist experince I won't ever forget.

Started early today working on Cash. At 6, I went out & started the kerosene heater in the mini barn. I had 3 things on my list, put the starter back on, add the bolts to the top engine frame mount and have a policeman inspect Cash for the title work. The starter has been out of Cash twice already. The first time was to change the oil seal in the engine case and the second time was to rebuild the starter. Frank had noticed the overall poor condition of the inside starter parts. He picked up some new copper contacts and had a machinist from work turn the core on a lathe. The top motor mounts came in a box from the previous owner. Missing were the bolts. I made quick work of re-installing the new bolts and it was on to the starter. The starter followed pretty much in the same manner, on without a hitch. My first time installing Cash's starter was a cluster frick. I had not lined up the casing correctly and the starter was longer than it should of been. Hence, it would not fit up in the engine cavity. I do not have a m/c lift, so I spent a good amount of time on the cold plywood floor before figuring I must of did something wrong and I need to start over. So, The starter is in, new oil poured in the block. Job complete. Now, time to call lawn enforcement. Leave the easiest job for last.

I live in a bedroom community outside Indy. Not much big time crime. Mostly, our hometown cops are starting their careers. They are young, friendly & approachable. There the ones you see at the high school games socializing with the fans. Ten miles up the road, things are different. Indy cops are more seasoned, less approachable & tighter wound. Who can blame them? Its a bigger city with bigger problems.

I have done the inspection routine before. Heck, I did 3 motorcycles on one law enforcement visit to my house this year. Indiana has some relaxed title laws when it comes to motorcycles. The cop comes out, makes a stolen vehicle check, completes
a half page document and for around $25 it's off to the BMV for a title.

So, I make a call into the non emergency # and a police car is dispatched to my house
in 20 minutes. Things were different this time. Out of a brand new Sherrif's Charger stepped a cop that was dressed for success. He had a wide rimmed hat, patent leather shoes and a chest protector under his long sleeve shirt. He was also it top shape.

"Nice car you drive there"; I said.

"Not mine, borrowing it today", he says.

"Did you steal the bike?", he says.
Now, I think to myself, seriously man, that's his first question? Why would I ask a cop to check on a bike if I did indeed steal it?

"No", I said.

"Will you fight me, if I find the bike is stolen and you are in possession of stolen property which is a felony?, he says.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but a picture of me rolling around on the ground with this cop jumped in my head.

"I won't fight you, but we will have to talk some more," I said.

Now I am concerned. Either this cat is screwing with me or he's in a bad mood. WTF,
this is a Craigslist find. I made 1 call, drove 100 miles and it was mine. The old owner said he "got it off some kids". Shit, I wanted the bike so that story worked for me.

"Do you have a bill of sale or a Title"?, he says.

"No bill of sale and that's why I called you out to my house so you could do a stolen vehicle check". IF you OK the bike, I am going to the BMV for the title"; I said.

Now I am thinking, does my comfortable life teeter on some stolen vehicle data base? My new police friend here said the word "felony" not the little one of "misdomeanor".

He steps back in to his cruiser & closes the door. The window tint is so dark, I can only see my own reflection from the outside. Now it seems like an eternity. What the hell was this cop doing, I thought to myself? Does he really think I would risk going to jail for a $350 m/c? Is he calling in support to haul me downtown? He wouldn't really charge me for a felony if Cash was stolen property right? He's got to be just blowing smoke up my ass. Why was he so hard on me? Was he sore cause he had to fill-in today? Deer season did start today...

About 5 minutes later, the door opens and grinning ear to ear the cop says, "you're clear. You're are all set to go."

Next time, I will find out who's on duty first....

I had planned originally to take a picture of the bike inspection in progress for fun.
After the rousting I got, I wasn't in the mood so I just added a picture of last years finished project.

Photo04051645-M.jpg

It was a big weekend for the Tango and Cash build. John and Frank drove down from Indy on Friday with Tango and some spare parts in the back of John's Toyota Hylander. Amazingly, Tango fit in comfortably sans fork and wheels.

I took some stop action video of the weekend's projects. Hopefully they will run okay.

The first video is a shot of the truck backing up to the garage and the three of us getting started on the build. Before we can tear the bike down, we need to determine how much length will need to be removed from the final build's CRF 450 forks.

Problem #1. We have the rebuilt rear wheel but no tire mounted. So we make a good estimate of the height to the center of the axle of the 16" rim plus about 3" for the height of the tire. That gave us 11.5" to the center of the rear swing arm assembly.

But knowing that was not enough because we had to have the weight of the bike on the swing arm ( at 11.5") to determine the correct standing height. We used a portable bike lift attached at the swing arm to accomplish this.

Then we had to put the CRF 450 forks and triple I acquired and talk about on an earlier post on the bike. I had a 19"wheel along with a set of CRF 450 forks already lowered for a flat track bike on hand. So we attached the 19" wheel to the unaltered forks and went about measuring.

Problem #2. We soon realized that the triple tree would not lower far enough on the forks to get a reading on how many inches would need to be removed. So we put the flat track forks in the triple tree (already lowered approximately 6") and the 19" wheel on the front.

Problem #3. Even with the the 6" lowered forks and 2" down on the tree we couldn't get the bike to sit flat, though it was close. So we took a good guess and will go with that number which I believe was a total of 8 and 5/8ths off the original CRF forks. Don't take that number to the bank. I will get the official number and post it after we rebuild the forks.

So, in this first video, you will see us doing a lot of measuring and eyeballing the bike as we get the measurements correct.

Tango Vol 1.

So we get the measurements on the forks figured out and continue onto the dismantling of Tango. This next video captures the removal of everything remaining down to the raw frame.

Sometime a month or so ago I purchased some parts off an inmate here at the 650 forum. I don't exactly recall what I purchased but I happened to learn that the seller also had a xs 650 engine stand for sale and I figured I might need one someday. Well that came in handy as we removed the engine and now it sits in its stand on separate work table. Not sure how far I am going to go into the engine. It was running well on delivery and I tend to be a, "If it ain't broke don't fix it kind-of-guy."

Tango Vol 2.

One of the best things about hanging out with your older brothers is.. ..you are bound to learn something. I am actually jumping ahead in the story a bit, but I'll back track later.

One of the last things we did on Saturday evening before quitting the build was a little wheel work. I had started grinding parts off Tango's frame. John and Frank, quickly tiring of the noise and metal dust in the shop grabbed Cash's newly laced front wheel, a couple of wood clamps, some long thin pieces of hardwood, a couple screwdrivers and exited the facility.

About 20 minutes into the grinding, I took a break, walked outside and on my way to the beer refrigerator in the house noticed the fellas standing near my deck railing. I grabbed a beer walked back out and this time took a second to examine what they were doing. Wish I had taken a picture because they had the wheel axle mounted to the railing with wood clamps and were truing the wheel using the pieces of hardwood to measure the play.

About 15 minutes went by and they returned to the shop where I had finished grinding for the night. Frank grabbed Tango's previously laced rear 16" wheel (this is the one I had such a hard time lacing due to the spoke thickness) and started to mount it in the woodworkers vice. After adding a couple of wood spacers we were able to get the wheel to rotate on its axel about two inches off the end of the bench.

"Wouldn't happen to have a dial indicator would you?" asked Frank.

"Yeah, but I don't have a mount for it," I replied.

So Frank grabbed a steel ruler and clamped it and a piece of wood next to the outer rim and started spinning the wheel and tightening spokes.

His ingenuity got me thinking so I grabbed the previously unused dial indicator examined it, grabbed a oak block and mounted the indicator to the side of the block. I then handed the block to Frank who set the indicator on the rim and clamped it to the bench. Now we were in business.

IMG_3894-M.jpg

IMG_3895-M.jpg

IMG_3896-M.jpg

IMG_3897-M.jpg

The 16" wheel was way off and it took us at least twenty minutes of spoke adjustments just to get the dial on the indicator to register within about 180 degrees per turn. Another 10 minutes and we started to get it within 45 degrees but time for the evening was running out. So we pulled Tango's rear wheel out of the wood vise and stuck Cash's front in. Set the dial indicator and gave it a spin. All three of us watched as the indicator registered a true wheel within about 10 degrees of movement. This was accomplished on a deck fence with a couple pieces of wood for indicators!

We made a couple of final adjustments and Cash's wheel ran true.

Not a bad day from three old guys who had never laced or trued a wheel from scratch.

EE0CFD06-EC89-46BB-BF55-A934C5F78BF7.jpg

This is Cash's January entry for the 2014 build off. Cash is back from the powder coater. The frame looks brand new. Just a awesome job. The Indiana court ordered title application was mailed to downtown Indy so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
7DBD2B7E-9F3A-4981-9389-2E6C494F701E_zps22ckunth.jpg

765A6D5D-729E-455F-B820-80B42AE2D2F2_zpsytcsmzdb.jpg

Progress is moving along on Cash. Made a new bench in my shed and put the newly powder coated frame on top. Laid it on its side and dropped the engine in. Picked that trick up on the web site here. Received new brass swing arm bushings from Mikes along with new rubber washer/steel caps thingys. Got a rear inner fender from ebay and a couple shock nuts. With shipping the cost was $5 per nut. Watched the utube video on how to replace the bushings, so with some warmer weather I'll be ready to add the back wheel. New rear drum brake pads also on the way from Mikes.

For Cash, progress is on going. New spark plugs and end caps for the coil wires were received from Mikes and added. Waiting on Frank to wire her up. Working on the back break light. Ordered a break light/curved plate holder which comes
off the axle. My plans are to use the original back light. I need a piece machined or cut to attach the light to the plate holder. I am using the original speedo. Replaced the speedo cable. Made a hanger for the speedo off the tri-tubes. Cleaned and replaced the chain.
Things to do:
 Seat
 Electrical
 Exhaust – got the 2 pipes out of the engine but not the 2 & 1 connector part and exhaust pipe. Tango has a hard to find exhaust. I need to pick one up. My neighbor has a friend who makes exhausts for tractor pull engines. He said he could make one for me. That sounds expensive. What I need to do is get to a vintage bike rally. Maybe this summer.
 Tach
 The f’in BMW lost my title paperwork. I have to go down to the courthouse and get a copy and resend.
 Starter Key on/off set up. (Maybe add by the battery)

My tank cap on Cash didn’t have a key. Instead of getting a key made, I saw a nicer cap with key on ebay. Once received, I noticed it was different. Found out on the 650 website that the standards and specials had different tank caps…EGADS. So, I tore apart the key plug and switched them. Took two days, but I finally figured out how it went back together. Now I have a locking tank.

Got some new pics of Cash. I will add soon. The new pipes have been hung, thanks again to brother David. He traded me the pipes he had on Tango for a 1930 Griswold iron pan. The original tail light has been attached. Frank designed the light cover mount and rewired. I bought the license plate mount on line and painted. The brake light works! The ignition has been added. I took the gage cluster apart, drilled a hole in the frame and mounted the ignition under the tank. Also mounted the horn which I found on ebay. I am going with
a smaller light and original speedo. Frank is running down a green indicator light that will be used for neutral. I want to replace this indicator light with the light switch in the headlight bucket. I plan on using the original horn & light switch for the lights. No turn signals.
The Indiana BMV finally came through with the court ordered title. Tonight, I plan to plate Cash.
Last week Frank & I drove to see David in Georgia and do some fishing at his beautiful lake front lake Lanier house. We had some good luck catching catfish and worked some on his deck project. Tango was packed away on his workbench & remained untouched for months. Plans for work have been pushed out until the upcoming winter.

2A470797-F1E7-4984-830B-4E7A07DC495F.jpg

AA040F41-576F-416E-B19A-10B8DFDAD5A8.jpg

DB975B0E-8A41-46D3-97A1-12258326532A.jpg

27C590FB-3660-462F-8C3A-E44DF8266F6F.jpg

Last edited:
Pugsley needs to post some new pictures and a little bit of the story from the 2014 build. There is definitely some excitement there regarding Cash.

Nothing new has happened to Tango. I was out of work for about 6 months which put a huge damper on the ability to spend money on my build. Working again. Soooo.. waiting for an announcement for the 2015 build and plan on entering Tango's remaining build story and bike for that event. Stay tuned.

Oh, and as an added twist to the three brothers' build plot, Frank picked up another XS 650 over the summer. Hopefully we will be riding all three in next years build get together.

Cash did great at the buildoff in Defiance Ohio. She made the whole 80 plus miles without breaking down and took first place. The 3 other entrants had one thing or another that sidelined them during the ride. I have some photos coming of the ride. What a good time. I want to thank Dan at Pandemonium for laying out his homestead for this event. Great to meet Hugh from Hugh's Hand Built. These pros didn't make you feel like it was your first build. When the bikes broke down and needed pushed or kick started, these guys were first in line. I'll be there next year riding with brother Dave on Tango and brother Frank on Carry. This fall I have been working on a 1976 Honda XL 175 I have had in boxes.

1.) Dirty Dogs build off entry and his wife’s bike.

3BCAC04C-4415-4D93-AAA0-ADD2D09A3DA9.jpg

2.) Leather bike build off bike from Texas.

25BBB95D-FE6E-455E-91FA-72C9FBEB2ABF.jpg

3.) “Cash” winner.

C3B50E9E-2656-41E9-955B-C9AB9DF64C02.jpg

4.) Gassin up on the ride.

20AA5406-6A26-4513-95E9-42FCBF6D6CF1.jpg

5.) “Cash” on a break.

DEAA86E3-C108-40F1-9DB1-78FBB07A5BAC.jpg

6.) 4 build off entries

16CEFEC2-1CFD-44E1-AA9E-8BBA2DE11631.jpg

7.) Leather bike

547BB2AF-2D24-47EC-8200-022DC8D314E7.jpg

1.) Good eats here.

2DCF487B-CAA3-4B88-A01B-081302C06C97.jpg

2.) Cool ½ bagger

9C06AAB1-4002-403E-ACD8-D29B31732856.jpg

3.) New fall project 1

1F1A5F49-80D4-4BFF-8DCE-6B14F126FE70.jpg

4.) New fall project 2

BC2F1870-B8AC-42F1-A943-6E3ACA290A24.jpg

Last edited:
Hey great pic's from buildoff, i just stumbled on them here maybe you can post to the buildoff thread, jus a thought, and man i love those old enduro's all makes, i have one xs650 i'm kinda makin into an enduro, i know it will be heavy but still fun, I don't do the crazy riding anymore that I used to LOL I miss my ol 74 F7 so i'm using some parts from a KE175 similar look like the front end & fenders to get similar look

Back