Tank options. Need a shorty not a sporty!

Whiterabbit

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Fixing to butcher the 74 bike and do the Monster brat kit. You lose the rear tank mount and the stocker would be too long anyways. Don't want to do the sportster tank thing. I saw a boxy xs400 tank and think it would be perfect if it is shorter than a standard tank. Are they?? :confused:
What other Yamaha tanks kinda' sorta' fit with a little work. Mainly just need clearance for the coils and fit the front tank mounts?
Thanks for any ideas. :thumbsup:

think out side the box and get a older smaller dirt bike tank. I picked up what I think is a older Yamaha dirt tank. Im considering putting it on mine to change out my sporty now and then. Its shorter, and smaller, but since my sporty sits at an angle with the middle petcock, it prolly holds the same amount of usable gas.

Hmmm. Good idea.
Saw a Husky tank down the road. Might look into that.
Like a dumbass I waited too long on a xs360 tank I saw and it got nabbed up.

I think mine is a dt100. that's what the guy said. price was rite-free. clean inside, good petcock, have like 15 layers of paint on it though.

I have a dt100 tank I was gonna use, awesome shape, look great frisco'd, but it was too rusty... someone fixed rust holes with body filler at some point, so I cut the sweet tuning fork filler cap and ring out of it for another tank im building.

got a pic of the dt 100 tank, Joe? just curious if it looks like mine. I love the tunning fork logo. the new "star" looks stupid, imo.

Its a bad pic, but you get the jist.

2013-03-04_09-13-44_175.jpg

nope. mines older. it has a spot were you can attach a Yamaha badge to the side, like the older xs650. Now that I figured out how to post fotos on here, AGAIN!!, I will go snap one.

Back to the original question... lol... most other tanks ive found are mounted reverse of the xs650, where the rubbers are on the frame, and the 'cups' are on the tank, BUT I can clearly see that the tank that angus has, is mounted just like the xs650, so it would be an easy retrofit. The rear mount is the real challenge when doing a 'chop'. It will usually require welding on the tank... which can potentially be dangerous.

This is the main reason most go the aftermarket tank route, ease of mounting. A tank thats been stored without fuel is not usually an issue if its been stored a long time, but rust then becomes the problem.

My other tank is from a honda, which I narrowed... still working on the rest. Mostly motivation to finish it is all thasts stopping me.

In my opinion, that DT tank angus has is one of the easier tanks to fit... how much modifiying are you willing or able to do?

More bad pics... lol. This is the hand tank after taking 3inches out of the rear, and an inch out of the front.

IMG_20130403_224252.jpg

IMG_20130403_224632.jpg

Tanks Angus and Shotgunjoe!
I don't mind some welding. I just boils down to me being a cheap SOB and on one hell of a tight budget. $150 up for a tank breaks the budget. I can find old sporty tanks for 20 bucks all day long but I'm going for that recycled WTF brat look.
I usually run an argon purge while tig welding them or Ar/Co mix purge if I mig or gas weld them.
Oh, I'm a welding and machine shop instructor for the Guard and have or had FAA certs,Nuke certs,AWS certs,Med gas certs, and on and on so I ain't scared of no lil' gas tank.:wink2:
My last lil' cheap a$$ bike. Made the back half,oil tank, batt box,ignition box,exhaust,paint, etc.....

Attachments

• frame welding.jpg
    frame welding.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 184
  • downsized bike pic.jpg
    downsized bike pic.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Well then... buy ANY tank you like the shape of and start chopping, no need to find the perfect length tank here whiterabbit. lol. Post your results, would love to see what you comne up with.

Shotgunjoe, NICE Triumph!
Might go the DT125,175,250 tank route. Looking at the "toaster" shaped ones. Looks a lil' more chunky funky. Will go good with the Shinko dual sport tires I'm planning to toss on it. The whole Zombie Apocalypse/Mad Max/Steam Punk/Bar hopper/bare minimum Brat look I think I'm going for. Fould an old Sporty front fender in the garage! Ha! got a rear fender now! Hell, I don't know what it'll wind up as, but we shall see what rolls outta' the shop and hits daylight! Time to fire up the machines.

Shotgunjoe, NICE Triumph!
Might go the DT125,175,250 tank route. Looking at the "toaster" shaped ones. Looks a lil' more chunky funky. Will go good with the Shinko dual sport tires I'm planning to toss on it. The whole Zombie Apocalypse/Mad Max/Steam Punk/Bar hopper/bare minimum Brat look I think I'm going for. Fould an old Sporty front fender in the garage! Ha! got a rear fender now! Hell, I don't know what it'll wind up as, but we shall see what rolls outta' the shop and hits daylight! Time to fire up the machines.
I have no idea why it keeps double posting? Sorry.

Last edited:
lol, it is a nice triumph, not mine tho.

I did a similar bike, like you are describing... my favorite build of all time. It was "ugly" by most standards, lol, but most fun ive ever had on 2 wheels. I plan to build another one, using all the experience ive gained since building it.

P6060395.jpg

Back