TC Bros hardtail installation

Stevenjr93

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey there everyone. I just got in my TC bros hardtail to install on my 83' xs650. Now, I've got no welder, nor any experience so I'm seeking some advice from some of you folk!

I'm currently emailing some welders that sounds like they have frame welding and motorcycle expeirence to get this things installed; is there anything I should look out for? The engine will not be installed so I'm concerned about things lining up properly etc afterwards.

I'm in Vancouver BC if that makes a difference :)

Any help would be appreciated!

tc bros could've welded it for you. prolly cheaper than a different shop since tc sold it to you. but.....I hope you didn't cut off the back of your frame off yet, and if you did hopes are you braced it so the motor mounts line up later.
in anycase pick brains of potential welders. find some with examples of work they have done. not pictures, hands on looks. be aware, poruos welds can be tacked over to look good. have a shop lay a bead for you. if they get their panties in a bunch because you want to see a simple 2G weld, then leave, and never go back. obviously safety is no concern to them.
good luck on your quest.

I'm in vancouver too. I know some guys that can help.

PM me if you like.

Ryan

Hiya Spud & Steven,

Good to see some local Vancouver guys on the forum! Spud, I will probably PM you when I get started on my bobber project. I will be looking for a welder for the brat kit I intend on buying, as well as I will also be looking for a local powder coater. I am a complete newb with no experience, but I'm looking forward to working on it once I get some time and space...

Hi, make sure you leave the engine in, fully bolted up, prior to cutting the frame. Also whilst welding put the rear shell in with all it's pacers and adjusters to brace the rear part of the frame.
A good welder will be able to weld the frame on. Tig welding often produces a better looking weld than a Mig. However, it's often down to the welder :)
Either is acceptable

Back