TCI box - a successful repair, electronic ignition, ignitor

For what it's worth, there is a 'fix' that is a whole lot easier than making what are likely futile attempts to fix an old TCI box. This 'fix' involves the simple replacement of the OE TCI box with a Suzuki 250 box. I'm not recalling at the moment exactly where the thread on this lies here on this web site, but there is a version of it called 'Gonzo Swap In Test' that I still have in my logs that give a lot of info on the subject. Further, I performed a swap-in test myself on a running '81 where I removed the Yamaha OE TCI and replaced it with the Suzuki unit. Honestly, I found zero distinctions between the performance of the two. I'm sure some dyno testing might reveal some differences, but as a daily driver type 'fix', this is an incredibly easy way to just keep going. Further, it's 'cheap', as these boxes were running anywhere from $8 to $30 when I purchased the ones I now have.

As to 'fixing' an OE TCI, the diode replacement will work in cases where the diodes are the problems. But in having attempted this 'fix' multiple times myself, and having been 'unsuccessful' each time, I'm of the opinion that the attempt is nothing more that a frustrating waste of time. I don't know how many components are 'under the hood' of that box, but any one of them can fail causing the box to become inoperative. I deal in electronics in my home business, though my specialty is older 'tube type' audio amplification. But, this does qualify me as being capable of doing some level of diagnostics on PC Board units, even if 'not for an amplifier. I've literally replaced virtually every component on these boards EXCEPT the IC devices, and found that the unit was still non functional. This leads me to point my finger at the solid-state devices like the regulator and IC chip. Those are no longer available. Bottom line: I've spent days attempting to do what I can now do for a $30 part and have completed in less than an hour.

Look into it! You might save yourself a whole lot of time and aggravation!!!

For what it's worth, there is a 'fix' that is a whole lot easier than making what are likely futile attempts to fix an old TCI box. This 'fix' involves the simple replacement of the OE TCI box with a Suzuki 250 box. I'm not recalling at the moment exactly where the thread on this lies here on this web site, but there is a version of it called 'Gonzo Swap In Test' that I still have in my logs that give a lot of info on the subject. Further, I performed a swap-in test myself on a running '81 where I removed the Yamaha OE TCI and replaced it with the Suzuki unit. Honestly, I found zero distinctions between the performance of the two. I'm sure some dyno testing might reveal some differences, but as a daily driver type 'fix', this is an incredibly easy way to just keep going. Further, it's 'cheap', as these boxes were running anywhere from $8 to $30 when I purchased the ones I now have.

As to 'fixing' an OE TCI, the diode replacement will work in cases where the diodes are the problems. But in having attempted this 'fix' multiple times myself, and having been 'unsuccessful' each time, I'm of the opinion that the attempt is nothing more that a frustrating waste of time. I don't know how many components are 'under the hood' of that box, but any one of them can fail causing the box to become inoperative. I deal in electronics in my home business, though my specialty is older 'tube type' audio amplification. But, this does qualify me as being capable of doing some level of diagnostics on PC Board units, even if 'not for an amplifier. I've literally replaced virtually every component on these boards EXCEPT the IC devices, and found that the unit was still non functional. This leads me to point my finger at the solid-state devices like the regulator and IC chip. Those are no longer available. Bottom line: I've spent days attempting to do what I can now do for a $30 part and have completed in less than an hour.

Look into it! You might save yourself a whole lot of time and aggravation!!!
I will have to go this way then as my XS does not seem to have one, one that I can find anyway.
I was told there was an electrical fault, not that the TCI box was missing, as well as the +positive battery lead. You live and learn.(buyer beware) lol.

Just asking, as the part numbers are fairly close. 4M4-82305-10-00 and 4R4-82305-10-00.
1642706142545.png

I have been reading this informative thread about the T.C.I. unit, and was wondering has anyone tried a unit from another bike? For example the XS400 twin or the 500 twin.
In my experience any combination of OEM+Ignition Module= hideously expensive black box
Don't bother cross referencing or even looking for comparable units.
It's time better spent petting the dog or pussy...

There's another thread I just noted called 'Gonzo Turns One' here on this web site....... so maybe further support info there as well.

When I did my investigating in to this process I came to a couple of conclusiont: One: virtually ANY XS650 could be converted to becoming an 'electronic ignition' type bike using this Gonzo box, replacing a non-TCI rotor with a TCI rotor (one that contains the trigger magnets), and with the addition of a pickup device on the rotor frame (similar to the stock pickup). I also concluded that finding a good rotor with good magnets wasn't nearly as difficult a process as finding a good 'Stock OE' TCI box. Likewise the pickup assembly. As it works out, there are guys drilling non-TCI rotors and adding magnets, as well as guys working on developing a simple replacement pickup. So, while the costs of finding both of these parts in OE Yamaha branded units may be 'not cheap' at this point. I think down the road there will be further updates that make having a reliable and 'simple' electronic ignition system on an old vintage XS a LOT easier than some of the currently available units; IE the BB or others. My advice is to go with the Gonzo box, use a confirmed 'good' pickup and TCI rotor, and just do the easy task of wiring it all up to work. The end result will be that, just like the OE TCI box, if Gonzo box goes bad, it will be a unplug and replace repair done in minutes. Any costs to modify to this if you have an already existing TCI bike and minimal........ like just revising the TCI plug set up and mounting, and you're good to go. I'd guess 'converting' a NON-TCI bike to eliminate the old points system completely, including the mechanical advance, would take not much more than another 30 minutes over what ever it would take you to replace the rotor..... with proper tools, what? 2 hrs? Anyway.... just my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it!!!

Perhaps this is plain stupid

A 1981custom, Engine/frame No 4M4001877 so I think it's a xs650s.

But in Europe I have had 2 1980 US Custom ..with points from Factory there is a small possibility that the bike needs points instead of a
TCI Box perhaps never had one

Back