TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

This is incredible. Still waiting for my box to show up so I can install/test and compare to TCI performance. For the price of these it'll be great to carry a spare in the tool roll. Nicely done guys!

This is incredible. Still waiting for my box to show up so I can install/test and compare to TCI performance. For the price of these it'll be great to carry a spare in the tool roll. Nicely done guys!
Maybe you could add some degree marks to the stator also? Would be interesting to see how stable advance is between boxes... you know... quality of manufacture.

Double check this on the 650 side. I think I have it right facing the harness connector. Let me know

View attachment 168107
One correction...

Untitled.png

In the last couple of days I think the entire supply of gn250 boxes has disappeared from both the smiley people and ebay. Ebay is all shipped from China and the smiley people where I got mine from now say July 15-Aug 1.
I do believe that might be a few people trying this.

I thought that pin was the advanced pickup. Interesting. I wired the box to the common and the rh pin on the loom that comes from the stator because I don't have the TCI harness. Am I correct the rh pin on the 3 pin pickup connector with the common pointed down is the idle coil?

I thought that pin was the advanced pickup. Interesting. I wired the box to the common and the rh pin on the loom that comes from the stator because I don't have the TCI harness. Am I correct the rh pin on the 3 pin pickup connector with the common pointed down is the idle coil?
On the stator side, black is common, orange is retard and grey is advance.

Jim, much much better than that Space X crap. I noticed from your video that the advance is very smooth and seems to easily get to the full XS advance (perhaps even a little extra too to play with for reducing idle value??). When I looked at the 81 SH's TCI advance it was not at all like that. It made a very rapid jump to full advance at about 2000 rpm. Perhaps my TCI was faulty? Your GN250 advance looks smooth like that from a Boyer or my latest TCIP from Ignitec...

... and it only cost about $15 :bike:.

Better than well done!!

Last edited:
Superimposed(sort of) a degree wheel onto a screen shot of the video and the advance appears to be 20 degrees like we expected. I notice about a 2-4
degree retard from the fire mark when the engine is decelerating. I noticed the same thing on the test stand. I wounder if it is a programed thing perhaps to prevent backfire on trailing throttle.

Looks like we're pretty close here. Funny to go from no "blank blank" advance to worrying about possibly too much. This is HHH's (Get to feeling better Hugh) timing marks for his pma cdi. Notice the tdc and f marks are 5-6 degrees advanced from the stock marks.
Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 6.32.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 6.13.37 AM.png

Last edited:
Back