TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

Yea this is Fantastic........personal thanks........been a long time waiting for someone to do this........Even out does the pamco...............
a cheap innovation........

question.....Has an angle/mark for the pick up magnet to be set on the Stator..........Screw holes for/or, a made up bracket screw hole distancing could be anywhere........Degree for magnet placement...........Center/0, being 12 0'clock

The magnet and pickup placement are determined by the relationship of the magnet to TDC. I'm hoping the RLX pickup Jim is playing with will mount similar to the stock TCI pickup. I'm hoping the ears on these pickups can bent into a shape to mount very much like the stock TCI pickup.

FYI, we, as in Australia, didn't get the TCI ignition, stayed with points on our 80, 81 models. So it is hard to do this as we Haven't got TCI rotors or Staters with the TCI pick up, i cant use a factory one as we don't have them here............well maybe a few imports

Yes i understand they are related to each other so, the magnet can be put anywhere on a non TCI rotor, and the pick up has to relate to TDC and the position of the magnet on the rotor...........

What i am asking is.........If the magnet is embedded into a non TCI rotor using the angle from the Firing mark across the face of the shaft and placing a magnet on the rotor as per factory position......................What is the Angle/degree of the Pickup Magnet position on the stater.???........Magnet......... as i said and you reiterated, the mounting holes could be different to Factory TCI or a different pick up to what you guys are using

Guess i'm asking if you can work out the magnet angle for me/us

Did you get the charging system change to the combined solid state reg/rec? If so then you may have gotten the later alternator housing just without the pick-up mounted on it.

No, Same ignition and charging system components, as 70-79 in the states.......

Just double checked and the stater has the Firing plate built into the stater housing as per 70-79US...........Had a TCI one and took it to NZ for the bike i have there

Got mine on a slow ride to me. Sometime in August :rolleyes:. Will wire it up on my 83 and report my findings too. Just something to frigg with I guess. I have a spare TCI box and a new Boyer in box but what is the fun in all that?!? Lol great work and research all of you guys on this thread. :thumbsup:

Here is the angle, (in red), i am talking about........The red dots, (magnets), are shown in different places, (2 possibilities for conversation sake), of where a magnet could be. Need the exact angle or a very close approx as any new pick up could be slotted and tweaked later.
Stator 3 copy.jpg

I'm working on it Doug... well actually, I'm doing a brake job on an 06 Grand Prix right now.... :rolleyes:.... but yeah, I'm gonna work out all the angles, details etc and post some comprehensive instructions for non-TCI bikes. Might take a bit... but I'll get there.

Okay now I understand. Those are not magnets. Those spots are are the backside of the pickup. The red dots are the position of the center armatures. The pickup center will be over the left hand dot. the right hand dot is the advanced pickup the stock tci uses but the gonzo only needs the the idle pickup on the left.

I had no idea there were 2 pick-up triggers on the TCI pic-up module.............made 2 points to use as an example............Since doing this i found this on ebay.

Your saying it is the front, (furthest away from the wire end of the module), one that needs to be in the right position.
s-l1600mjn copy.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600mjn.jpg
    s-l1600mjn.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 111
The 650 TCI was one of the first electronic ignition systems. It is unusual in that it uses 2 pickups instead of one. The first pickup is at the the full advance position and the second is at the idle position. You have to remember that when Hitachi was designing this box the average top of the line home computer had 64k or less of memory and ran at 1 mhz.

Looking at this..........it is quite easy to work out the pickup placement..........

The pickup leading edge is right at the edge of the hold-own plate.......
needs a measurement from the screw hole to the edge of the plate........pick-up back towards the screw-holes
Line through the screws across the face of the stater...........
line through the Stater mount screw holes..........
Degree of the 2 intersecting lines.........

The 650 TCI was one of the first electronic ignition systems. It is unusual in that it uses 2 pickups instead of one. The first pickup is at the the full advance position and the second is at the idle position. You have to remember that when Hitachi was designing this box the average top of the line home computer had 64k or less of memory and ran at 1 mhz.

That why your finding the bikes idle is jumping around on first start up...........the Hitachi pickup, having 2 triggers, is messing with the suzuki Black box because it is used to a single trigger

Pure speculation starts here.
I suspect that the Gonzo boxes contain a generic ignition ic that is probably used in a lot of the cheap Chinese boxes. I'm not finished testing different boxes. Hopefully one of the other boxes will also work and we will have multiple choices.

It was pure chance the the GN250 box ended up in my hands in the first place. I had ordered a Virago box and they sent the 250 instead. Once I figured out what was I made a pigtail for it. In the meanwhile I was working on the Duckster box. The morning I went out to wire up the duckster to the test stand I was looking through the Tupperware forest for a connector to use on the duckster I came across the gonzo box all wired up and ready to go. Being one to follow the path of least resistance I hooked it up and was surprised to see advance for the first time.

That why your finding the bikes idle is jumping around on first start up...........the Hitachi pickup, having 2 triggers, is messing with the suzuki Black box because it is used to a single trigger
That is my thoughts on the issue. I think the advance coil floating from ground is creating noise on the idle pickup that the box adjusts itself to. Working on a connection to the advanced coil that will shunt the unwanted signals to ground.

Back