thanks for the add

jdvorchak

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the XS650 having just acquired a 1977 xs650 a couple of weeks ago. It had been sitting since 1987 and even though it was dusty and dirty with some surface rust/pitting I fell in love with it. It is mostly complete the only things missing are the fuel tank cap, turn signals and shift lever. My nephew gave me a shift lever so now it is complete mechanically. I was surprised to see that the fuel had been drained when put into storage. The oil looks like new and I will change it after the next couple of test runs. The chain and sprockets also appear new with some very minor surface rust. The front master cylinder was rusted solid so I replace it but now I find I have a clogged brake line. I took the caliper apart and it was not stuck or even that dirty. More great news is the starting and charging system works perfectly. I set the ignition timing and it starts and idles easily after my carb clean out and bench test for leaks. The points plate was loose and the points appear to be brand new. Well for 1987 new.

I have to add that I am not new to restoring/refurbing old Japanese motorcycles. This one is number 40. But I know there are also gotchas with any make or model vintage motorcycle. Anything I should be looking at before first test ride?
thanks,
John

Hello John and welcome from Virginia. My XS650 is awaiting the tear down to begin its restoration. Unlike you, this will be my first ever...

Thank you for the note. First ever? May I offer some suggestions that would be useful regardless of the make model old Metric bike. First the carbs are dirty and the slow speed/idle jets are clogged. Don't bother with soaking those tiny jets. Get a small guitar string, I use the High E string mainly and poke it through the jets to clean them. Then follow with carb/brake cleaner. Blow through the jet and look for a small hole. If you don't see the hole repeat until you can blow both directions and see the hole. It helps to look through against a white background. Then turn your attention to valve tension setting and adjusting the valves for proper clearance. Only after you have adjusted cam chain tensioner and valve lash/clearance can you set points gap and setting ignition timing. Those two steps are necessary before you ever try to fire it up.
Good luck!
John

Hello. I'm new to the XS650 having just acquired a 1977 xs650 a couple of weeks ago.

Anything I should be looking at before first test ride?
Good to hear from you ! Lucky to find a 77, one of my favorite years. Which color ? We sure like pics..
Sounds like you may consider greasing the swingarm pivots Pronto. The counter shaft sprocket nut is often found to be loose. Maybe with the new chain its ok, but that is a common one too. Grease the clutch cable and worm adjuster.
Be ready for the front brake to feel weak. They just are on that era of brake components even when working well. You can read and improve that later..
Good luck on the ride! These twins are real addictive. Especially if the stock 77 pipes are making the right music. They sound wonderful.
-R

Thank you for the note. First ever? May I offer some suggestions that would be useful regardless of the make model old Metric bike. First the carbs are dirty and the slow speed/idle jets are clogged. Don't bother with soaking those tiny jets. Get a small guitar string, I use the High E string mainly and poke it through the jets to clean them. Then follow with carb/brake cleaner. Blow through the jet and look for a small hole. If you don't see the hole repeat until you can blow both directions and see the hole. It helps to look through against a white background. Then turn your attention to valve tension setting and adjusting the valves for proper clearance. Only after you have adjusted cam chain tensioner and valve lash/clearance can you set points gap and setting ignition timing. Those two steps are necessary before you ever try to fire it up.
Good luck!
John
Thanks for the tip John. This is a 1981 so no points luckily. It sat under the weather since 2001, So far I have freed the engine by using a 50/50 combo of transmission fluid and acetone. I have freed the transmission by rocking it back and forth in each gear starting at the top. That's all the actual work done so far and really that is not much.
I am acquiring tools: I now have a torque wrench, lift and various other tools from a few different boxes over the years. I did get a repair manual and a new keyed ignition/gas cap and seat/helmet lock as I did not have the original keys to the bike when it was given to me.
I have no garage so I have laid brick for a patio from my walkout basement and am in the process of installing a ceiling above it to block rain when I have a chance to begin work in earnest of the bike.
Luckily for me, my Pretty Pillion loves working with tiny parts and has volunteered to rebuild the carbs. She's a keeper!

Thanks for the tip John. This is a 1981 so no points luckily. It sat under the weather since 2001, So far I have freed the engine by using a 50/50 combo of transmission fluid and acetone. I have freed the transmission by rocking it back and forth in each gear starting at the top. That's all the actual work done so far and really that is not much.
I am acquiring tools: I now have a torque wrench, lift and various other tools from a few different boxes over the years. I did get a repair manual and a new keyed ignition/gas cap and seat/helmet lock as I did not have the original keys to the bike when it was given to me.
I have no garage so I have laid brick for a patio from my walkout basement and am in the process of installing a ceiling above it to block rain when I have a chance to begin work in earnest of the bike.
Luckily for me, my Pretty Pillion loves working with tiny parts and has volunteered to rebuild the carbs. She's a keeper!

Looking for tools? My personal preference for JIS style screwdrivers believe it or not are Harbor Freight. The have never failed me and fit these old screw heads perfectly. They look like Phillips head but they are NOT. https://www.harborfreight.com/screwdriver-set-32-pc-61259.html
Also an impact screw driver. Again I use Harbor Freight. Because of the fat cushioned handle, often I don't have to hit it to break some screws loose.
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-bit...ase-64812.html?_br_psugg_q=impact+screwdriver

Except for the handlebar mount, which is 6mm, the other allen head bolts are all 5mm or at least that's what mine has.

Good to hear from you ! Lucky to find a 77, one of my favorite years. Which color ? We sure like pics..
Sounds like you may consider greasing the swingarm pivots Pronto. The counter shaft sprocket nut is often found to be loose. Maybe with the new chain its ok, but that is a common one too. Grease the clutch cable and worm adjuster.
Be ready for the front brake to feel weak. They just are on that era of brake components even when working well. You can read and improve that later..
Good luck on the ride! These twins are real addictive. Especially if the stock 77 pipes are making the right music. They sound wonderful.
-R
Thank you! Counter shaft nut is tight, and I mean tight. Could be just corroded. As for pics I have to have my 5 posts in before I can post pics. It has been repainted to gloss black so unknown original color. The exhaust is a 2 into 1 on the right side and it sounds mean! I was told the bike had a 750 kit and "performance cams" installed but I have no way of knowing that is true. I'm the second owner and his widowed wife told me about the engine conversion.

Back