The 100,000 mile XS

While waiting on some engine parts I started on the carbs. They were in pretty good shape. Obviously a PO had gone thru them at some point. Degunked em, pulled the jets and cleaned each passage and jet. Then reset the float height. The Carburetor Manual from the XS Society is an valuable source here, great theory, how to and best practices. The left carb had pinholes in diaphragm and the right looked marginal so I replaced them with new diaphragms from JBM. This was a very easy repair especially considering you save about $150 a carb over new slides. Both of the fuel tubes on the left carb were loose so I cleaned and JB welded them back in. Note this is the tube from the fuel petcock and the one going from there to the other carb, not the enrichment tube.

Most impact bits are a 5/16" hex size. I think by 3/8", JR is referring to the drive size of the hand impact.

I have several Vessel hand impacts. Some have a 3/8" hex drive, some a 1/2". For some reason, the 1/2" drive seems to work better. Both have an "adapter" fitting that snaps on the drive and accepts the 5/16" hex bits. If you remove that, you can fit regular sockets on the tool.

Here is what I use. A 3/8 square drive lets you connect any 3/8 drive socket to the impact. To use it you just tap the top with a hammer. Usually don't have to hit very hard.
20180913_150141.jpg

by 3/8 bit I mean a bit to fit an adapter on a 3/8 drive. Presumably sized between 1/2 drive bit size and 1/4 (or 5/16?).

Too busy wrenching to write. Finally got the engine in and running. Started right up and sounds great. A short test drive confirmed everything worked ok. It did have a minor problem with the rear wheel but got that all sorted

Too busy riding to write. Ha ha.
Visited gggGary and he helped me sort out the TX. Spent time with him and ended up riding 6 different Yamahas. He is trying to reprogram me from my Honda ways.
Put a couple hundred miles on the newly rebuilt TX. Had some minor teething problems and many adjustments. The only stumble came when I ran out of gas about a mile from his house at the end of a ride. The biggest problem I had was trying to keep the petcocks from leaking. gggGary polished both valves and I installed factory seals , problem solved. We raided Gary's parts stash and installed a later model (76?) air cleaner assembly which includes inlet tubes for the crankcase breather. This took quite a bit of monkeying , but ultimately everything fit. gggGary documented in a separate post. I put over 500 miles on this mod and no probs. It's nice that the breather does't dump onto the rear tire now.

Last edited:
We trailered my TX and gggGarys XS650 RestoMod down to the Vintage Yamaha Rally held at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge in Stecoa, NC. Spent the weekend riding and hanging out with a great group of people. Put on over 250 miles and my TX ran great.
Marty Hallberg led us on both days and proved to be an excellent ride leader, good pacing, appropriate stops and photo ops. Nicely done Marty.
gggGary tested his iron butt once again by riding home the 900 odd miles to Baraboo.
20180930_091315.jpg

20181007_112402.jpg
Next on to Barber Vintage Festival in Birmingham, Al. Over 70,000 fellow motorcyclists can't be wrong.
Trailered the TX and a buddies bike up for the event. Entered the TX in the VJMC Motorcycle Show. Then got to do some parade laps around the track. The old TX performed mightily and kept up pretty well with the hot rod Honda 750 in front of me . Ha ha.

Back