The best thing you ever read.

Forgive me if this one has been mentioned already, but H.G. Wells' War Of The Worlds is a perennial favorite of mine. At first blush, both the story and my esteem for it may seem rather pedestrian, but I developed a whole new appreciation for the work when, as an adult, I revisited it in the edition that includes an afterward by Isaac Asimov. In it, Asimov discusses the work in the context in which it was originally conceived and written: an allegory of late 19th century British imperialism. As I recall, Asimov cites additional examples of ill-conceived conquest, such as the French foray into Algeria, and the Soviet debacle in Afghanistan. Such unfortunate behavior continues today, by myriad players in numerous theaters of war on countless pretexts, with predictably identical results. Perhaps the Asimov edition of WOTW should be required reading for anyone who aspires to a leadership capacity, with special emphasis on the reality that might does not necessarily make right, and that there exists no military antidote to elementally social ills.

TC

^There's nothing pedestrian about H.G. Wells! I think I read W ot Ws, and liked The TIme Machine, screwed up totally more than once by Hollywood. There's a physicist named Ron Mallet who wants to work on a practical time machine and I think he said The Time Machine was the origin of the time travel fantasy we all have, Exciting reading.

Interesting that War of the Worlds works as a political allegory. I wonder if it was intended or is one of Asimov's creations.

The Time Machine has the bleakest depiction of the future that anybody I know of ever thought of. The bleakest depiction possible probably.

The Time Machine is ringing a bell with me, but I may have been pretty young, so I might have to explore that again.

I'm quite sure - mainly from recollections of some other biographical material on Wells that I had seen - that the political allegory was not merely an interpretation by Asimov. There are actually passages in the book itself that specifically cite the deprecation and eradication of other species by humans, and make references to their "
wars of extermination". And temporally, Britain was then at the zenith of its expansionism. What I find so profound in this context is that, unhappily, the human tendency toward folly has not diminished at all in over a century. That's quite bleak, as well.

I'll have to seek out The Time Machine. I'll have to do more reading when I retire in the spring. Having the attention span of a fruit fly makes it hard, though... :(

TC

^ In that case I'll tell you what the extremely distant future holds. There's nothing but slugs and goo.

Well, goo has it's merit. Some of my happiest times in the high chair involved goo and an increasingly piqued mom. :p I can do without the slugs, though. :)

I can't believe that this one hasn't been brought up already.

The most important book anyone can read is the Bib..George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm. George Orwell's (Eric Balir) other books on social commentary, like Road to Wigan Pier and Keep the Asphidistra Flying, are good too.

I'm also a huge fan of Christopher Hitchens, the man is an intellectual juggernaut. Even if you're a religious believer, you should read "God is NOT Great, How religion poisons everything", then challenge yourself to try to counter his arguments.

Best book I ever read, was also the biggest/longest lol was.. "Papillon" Was a story about a foreigner jailed in the French prison colonies.. Was also made into a really Great movie with the main character played by Paul Newman (I think) Great book and great movie!!

best book i ever read, was also the biggest/longest lol was.. "papillon" was a story about a foreigner jailed in the french prison colonies.. Was also made into a really great movie with the main character played by paul newman (i think) great book and great movie!!

actually steve mcqueen and dustin hoffman-yes,awsome read tho my fav is zen and the art of motorcycle maintenence

Back