The fix for worn out Velcro

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have a pair of gloves that are several years old, and I still really like them but the Velcro on the wrist straps long ago worn out and I quit wearing them because it annoyed me that every time I’d bump the straps they would just pop open.
Replacing the Velcro would require sewing on my gloves and that seemed like a pain so....
I ordered a bag full of snaps from eBay and the little tools to install them came with the snaps. I paid 4 or 5 dollars for 15 snap sets, the tools and all.
Tried it out today and it worked like a charm. I was afraid the thick rubber straps on my wrist closures would be too thick , but no problem. Check it out!
D345EE64-2CDE-428B-9F64-4A4E4E2C419E.jpeg
45407634-516F-43D6-9C1A-0F2B2403FE7D.jpeg
D120660D-159D-4B4E-9624-3EA0050DB147.jpeg

They came out so well, I’ve got another pair of nice gloves that the Velcro is fading on, that I’m going to give the same treatment.
Bob

Gonna have to start a special thread for .............wait for it.................MR FIXIT.:).........never would have done these things before retirement.......glad to see your not one to sit in a chair all day and get depressed because you can't do a 9-5 anymore :thumbsup:

Haha! That's too funny! I never thought of that, I should've just kept my Mr Fixit thread going!
You're right about not having the time for stuff like this before. Believe me, the Mrs. Is just a little too excited to have me around the house. Suddenly she is seeing all kinds of things that need to be done!
image.jpeg

I have a pair of gloves that are several years old, and I still really like them but the Velcro on the wrist straps long ago worn out and I quit wearing them because it annoyed me that every time I’d bump the straps they would just pop open.
Replacing the Velcro would require sewing on my gloves and that seemed like a pain so....
I ordered a bag full of snaps from eBay and the little tools to install them came with the snaps. I paid 4 or 5 dollars for 15 snap sets, the tools and all.
Tried it out today and it worked like a charm. I was afraid the thick rubber straps on my wrist closures would be too thick , but no problem. Check it out!
View attachment 106907 View attachment 106908 View attachment 106909

They came out so well, I’ve got another pair of nice gloves that the Velcro is fading on, that I’m going to give the same treatment.
Bob

That looks awesome Mailman! I’ve got some glove that need snugging-up.

Dammit - I comin’ over.
Just two questions:
- where the heck is Avondale?
- how hot is there (cooler than the surface of the sun - or hotter) - should I pack my woolies?
- do you have BEvERages - or should I bring some?

OK - that was three. What the heck.

That looks awesome Mailman! I’ve got some glove that need snugging-up.

Dammit - I comin’ over.
Just two questions:
- where the heck is Avondale?
- how hot is there (cooler than the surface of the sun - or hotter) - should I pack my woolies?
- do you have BEvERages - or should I bring some?

OK - that was three. What the heck.

C’mon down Pete, bring your gloves, I got the beer on ice! The weather is glorious!
Here’s the directions. Head SW 2800 kilometers until you see the saguaro cactus, turn left and go till you see the scorpions and turn right, if you see rattlesnakes you’ve gone too far!

Back