the Most Accurate Tire Pressure Gauge in the World !

XSTime

“Houston, we have a problem”
Top Contributor
Reaction score
IMG_5919.jpeg

It’s true !
This one very old aluminum tire pressure gauge has amazingly held its exact accuracy over 40 years!
Although dented don’t let the gauges outside appearance cast any doubts. Always stored precariously in either a wrapped tool kit, empty beer can, or top drawer of the top box, this precision tool never ever disappoints. That satisfying “psshh” sound as the gauge scale moves rapidly to the exact true reading and stops right there ! Not 1lb psi higher or lower ?
🤩
This very gauge has been precisely used to set tire pressures since about 1977 on : DT175, 2CR125’s, MR175, DR400, XS650SP, XJ650RJ, FJ1200, YZ250, CJ5, and Many XS650’s !!
Although other less accurate tire pressures gauges come and go… the Best One of all time still provides the satisfaction of knowing it’s true accuracy is within the undesquingable (that’s a word) feel of exactness, even though the 60 year old arms feel different on a bicycle pump nowadays.
Just now, set these tires to 40.0 psi for winter storage in the cold garage.
But temperature or altitude does not matter with this particular tire pressure gauge. It’s been accurate in conditions ranging from the high altitude Montana mountain passes to the sea level Laguna Seca road course.
(it’s not for sale)
😁👍

Last edited:
Never calibrated ! Unlike a modern cell phone the old school gauge needs no “updates” or any maintenance whatsoever
Great story and heart warming confidence!

But how can you verify its accuracy, if not by comparing it to a more accurate standard?
Which would then have to be the world's ut-most accurate pressure gauge :rolleyes:
Maybe even with a calibration sheet in traditional units like N/cm2 instead of % confirmation bias.

On the other hand, my car really has the most accurate speedo in the world.
Even though it's from 1991 and has seen many different tyre sizes, every time the seat of the pants feeling says we're reaching 100kph, the speedo indicates exactly that! Ahh, and the satisfying sound of the leaking exhaust manifold, as I put the pedal to the metal.. Analog cars don't need maintenance, nor updates!

Calibration? We don't need no steenkin' calibration!

:p

how can you verify its accuracy, if not by comparing it to a more accurate standard?
Which would then have to be the world's ut-most accurate pressure gauge :rolleyes:
Reasonable to question such an amazing instruments accuracy !
🧐
Great news! Last nite after the whiskey was gone, I searched high and low thru all the places that use to have hidden valuables stashed,😂 and deep in the lint corner was infact the “mother of tire pressure gauge calibration certificates” (old)
So that along with a 2nd test, Yes an ancient BMW tire pressure confirmation valve stem cap. Look close at that built in green / red pressure confirmation scale! Absolutely verifies the exact accuracy of “the Worlds Most Accurate Tyre (is that how you spell?) Gauge
✌️
IMG_5922.jpeg

IMG_5923.jpeg

All joking aside. When you find a good one, stick with it. I recently compared 4 different gauges that I've acquired over the years. A pen type, one digital, and a couple of dial gauges.
I found that in the area around 30 psi. They differed by as much as 7 psi. Not a good margin of error given the importance of tire pressure on all vehicles but motorcycles in particular.

Just looked and the only one I still have of this type is a straight one. Can’t recall why I bought it but it was because an angled head unit wouldn’t fit. I’ll post a pic later.

All joking aside. When you find a good one, stick with it. I recently compared 4 different gauges that I've acquired over the years. A pen type, one digital, and a couple of dial gauges.
I found that in the area around 30 psi. They differed by as much as 7 psi. Not a good margin of error given the importance of tire pressure on all vehicles but motorcycles in particular.
I did the same thing last spring. Compared 6 different gauges. Two dial gauges and 4 stick out gauges. Two of the stick out gauges agreed with each other, The two dial gauges were very different from each other and the stick outs. Conclusion, right or wrong, I'm now using the two stick out gauges that agreed with each other. Yeah 4-6 PSI is a big difference.

Hummm, wonder which one I should use. One for m/c, one for autos, one for sports balls...etc...:umm:
guages.jpg

Can't recall where I got them tho.

The PCL pencil gauge in my pocket has been providing accurate pressure readings for near 40 years. Every so often I compare it with another gauge or two I know to be accurate and it's still spot-on.

pcl pencil gauge.jpg

However, this is the one I use in the workshop...
tyre gauge michelin wonder.PNG

Back