The NON-Urgent Rebuild... :-)

Helicoils done and new 1.25 pitch bolts obtained. You'll be seeing a lot of BZP bolts as I can get them off the shelf locally in the fine pitches.
I'll probably look into one of the upgrades after the bikes been run for a bit. Not so much for the braking power as the weight reduction for the un-sprung mass. Worse thing I ever did years ago on an XS250 I fiddled around with was put twin discs on the front. Ruined it's feel on the road.

Attachments

• HANGER DONE.JPG
    HANGER DONE.JPG
    452.2 KB · Views: 55
Helicoils done and new 1.25 pitch bolts obtained. You'll be seeing a lot of BZP bolts as I can get them off the shelf locally in the fine pitches.
I'll probably look into one of the upgrades after the bikes been run for a bit. Not so much for the braking power as the weight reduction for the un-sprung mass. Worse thing I ever did years ago on an XS250 I fiddled around with was put twin discs on the front. Ruined it's feel on the road.
You are right about the front disc set up. I stayed with a single disc although larger diameter with 4 pot Brembo calliper on a Ducati front end set up; great sensitivity and feel.

And another weeks gone... Unfortunately the weather conspired with work to restrict progress. Meh.
Front ends mainly together, but the caliper and pads won't be fitted until the bikes closer to completion. (I'm still looking for the pad retaining screw as well) Took a picture mainly for my own persycologikal benefit. (Godsdammit, It DID look like a rolling bike again) Then in an epic race with a weather front I stripped out the loom, battery box, tail light, rear mudguard, indicators and rear wheel.
I doubt the indicators would have been kind to the bulbs as is, so I've got new mounting kits for both.
The loom seems to be in a surprisingly reasonable state, a few evenings popping terminals out and in of housings should see it serviceable. Not to sure about the gaffa tape fuse cover, but the loom may be altered later anyway. (I prefer blade fuses and relays on headlamp supplies)
I've had to bite a bullet on the battery box. It didn't look to bad untill I pulled it out, then the extent of rust was more apparent. It's a part that may not be touched for some time after refitting so de-rusting and some more serious painting will have to be done. Done some preliminary work with emery to remove the loose paint, then when I've found a suitable bucket it's into the magic liquid. (Evapo-Rust, only just 'found' this stuff.)

Attachments

• BATT BOX II.JPG
    BATT BOX II.JPG
    491.1 KB · Views: 60
  • BATT BOX I.JPG
    BATT BOX I.JPG
    580.2 KB · Views: 56
  • LOOM I.JPG
    LOOM I.JPG
    658.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IND REAR.JPG
    IND REAR.JPG
    372.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Front End In Place.JPG
    Front End In Place.JPG
    670.6 KB · Views: 60
Well life got in the way. It's now going to be a non-urgent rebuild. I'll wish everybody a healthy Christmas season and post updates whenever... I feel like hibernating :zzz:

Please imagine I managed to post the following pictures when I intended to. It's Halloween, and all things rusty and abused are out to give you nightmares...

The chainguard underwent a lot of effort and soaking in rust converter prior to painting when the weather permits. Unfortunately the rear mudguard is not well, I've managed to pick up a second mudguard with less physical problems and a straight unbroken number plate bracket.

Attachments

• CHAINGUARD 1.JPG
    CHAINGUARD 1.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 30
  • CHAINGUARD 2.JPG
    CHAINGUARD 2.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 33
  • CHAINGUARD 3.JPG
    CHAINGUARD 3.JPG
    469.4 KB · Views: 32
  • CHAINGUARD 4.JPG
    CHAINGUARD 4.JPG
    543.1 KB · Views: 33
  • CHAINGUARD 5.JPG
    CHAINGUARD 5.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 33
  • KNACKERED REAR GUARD 1.JPG
    KNACKERED REAR GUARD 1.JPG
    584 KB · Views: 42
  • KNACKERED REAR GUARD 2.JPG
    KNACKERED REAR GUARD 2.JPG
    591.7 KB · Views: 34
  • KNACKERED REAR GUARD 3.JPG
    KNACKERED REAR GUARD 3.JPG
    340.8 KB · Views: 44
  • KNACKERED REAR PLATE MOUNT 1.JPG
    KNACKERED REAR PLATE MOUNT 1.JPG
    465.9 KB · Views: 33
Forgot, did manage to finish off the battery box before time became a commodity. Anybody who creates artwork with paint, don't look... I wanted thickness built in layers!

Attachments

• BATT BOX 6.JPG
    BATT BOX 6.JPG
    622.6 KB · Views: 42
  • BATT BOX 5.JPG
    BATT BOX 5.JPG
    350 KB · Views: 43
  • BATT BOX 4.JPG
    BATT BOX 4.JPG
    489.4 KB · Views: 44
  • BATT BOX 3.JPG
    BATT BOX 3.JPG
    393.6 KB · Views: 42
Made a little time this weekend to knock the sump off the engine. To my total non-surprise the filter had the infamous 'hole'. I was surprised at just how not surprised I was. I mean on a scale of 0>10 with 10 being so surprised you have to dislocate your jaw, I think I may have barely scraped a 0.3... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• HOLY SUMP FILTER.JPG
    HOLY SUMP FILTER.JPG
    416 KB · Views: 26
Back