The old , what model is my XS question???

Dangermouse

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys, been away for a while, however I have returned to the fold and bought another XS. bit of a bsket case, trying to get the right model number for parts etc. VIN is 3G500XXXX
engine just has 447 on it. ny ideas, I think it is a XS650 SG P. Has the side latch seat , mag wheels, and what looks like the TCI ignition.

Yes, from all the lists I have and looked at, it does appear to be an '80 SG-P, a Japanese model supposedly. However, the lists also all say the motor number would begin with that 3G5 as well, not 447. But, it's so easy to swap parts around on these, even whole motors, it could be a different motor. Or, the lists are wrong, lol. Do the other motor numbers match the VIN?

Ah the plot thickens... there are no other numbers on the engine apart from 447. Would appear to be an engine change at some time. Strange the engine only has the 3 number son it?

Yes strange indeed.
Two likely scenarios;
a set of replacement cases from Yamaha due to a catastrophic event.
An engine sourced from a less than reputable supplier. IMHO the 447 makes this less likely.
Any evidence of filing or grinding on the case where the stamping is?
From the factory the stampings were made on an "as cast" surface no filing, sanding, machining under the #s

Attachments

• vin detail.jpg
    vin detail.jpg
    807.8 KB · Views: 55
Well, all engines from 1974 on were the 447 type. Take a look at the cam chain adjuster type, that may help narrow down the engine year a bit more .....

Tensioner I.D..jpg

Very unusual. Looks like 447 type cases have not been fitted to a bike but supplied as parts by Yamaha as @gggGary suggests. In the old days (here we go) Triumph would supply a pair of engine cases with no number stamped if you needed them 'coz the motor blew up.

See pics, looks like type E to me, which would tie in with XS 650 SG, maybe be new crankcases wrongly stamped???

Attachments

• IMG20230105171059.jpg
    IMG20230105171059.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG20230105171103.jpg
    IMG20230105171103.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 53
Wow. Thanks man . Clears everything. I have a TCI under the battery box. Unfortunately I don't have a wiring loom. May be a problem as seems to be a one off for this model.

I have a TCI under the battery box. Unfortunately I don't have a wiring loom. May be a problem as seems to be a one off for this model.
Hmmm. There's various options, the most obvious being to source a complete wiring harness but would probably entail modifying to suit your bike. Is it a TCI unit or a rectifier/regulator under the battery box?

Best way ahead might depend on how familiar you are with bike electrical systems. I used to be very wary about fiddling with anything electrical because I basically had no idea what was meant to be going on. An old Triumph 650 twin with really shocking electrics, pun intended, put that right. To cut a long story short, I pulled the whole lot out and totally re-wired the bike. Which both made the bike reliable and taught me a lot about what you need to make a motorbike run. Probably won't need to do anything that drastic.

Photo of the bike's wiring? If it has any . . .

Thanks Raymond, Wiring is a dark art to me, I only have the wires coming off the various electrical components. The rec/reg is mounted to the frame and the TCI box is under the battery box, well it all was till I took it off and primed the box for repainting. I have no switch gear,

Facing quite a big task with this bike then?

What do you have and what are your plans? I would spend a bit of time at this stage, take stock of what I've got and think how I want the bike to end up. Sounds like you need to find switches, the options include finding XS gear on ebay or a breaker. Or if you are moving away from standard then the world is your oyster, from cheap generic switches to up-market Motogadget or similar.

Obviously, wiring isn't really a dark art it's just something most of us ignore and just hope it will all work.

Here's a helpful wiring diagram, well not really but made me smile:

lectrics.png

HAHAHA made me laugh, that's how I see wiring......
I mean I am a while off wiring yet, but will probably go for xs switches etc. Bike won't be original, I have just added a XS1 tail light onto a Heritage rear mudguard, so it is what I have at hand and what I can get my hands on.

Attachments

• IMG20221230185349.jpg
    IMG20221230185349.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 54
Back