The one month RT1 360 street tracker build

Sonnylynnvick75

XS650 Young Gun
Reaction score
Alright guys, Here is the deal, I picked up this 1971 Yamaha RT1 360 from a guy by trading a mini bike frame. I took it home, tore it down, and started my build. I'm a good bit of the way done with it already and my goal is to turn this thing around in a month or less. I'm building my own exhaust which will take the most time. So here are some pictures to get started. Luckily my Powder Coater does one day turn around stuff. I've ordered everything else except a couple odds and ends. I have the cases split and am waiting for my new bearings to come in. So, I have until October 16th to make my goal.

Starting bike:
00h0h_8oSJ2GscyPR_600x450.jpg

00909_fz7s1mYPJ2V_600x450.jpg

After Powder Coating:

IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_4535.jpg

Cool find!
I don't know what kind of exhaust you are building, guess it is a low slung expansion chamber, as that would be what a proper short track bike would have had. And If you get it right, it will give you more HP.
But in my opinion, those stock, flat high exhausts, look oh so right....Perfect 70s style.
And the chrome guards make them look even better. So at least take good care of the stock pipe, in case you change your mind!

I'm glad y'all are subscribed. 9/25 update. I had to work at the office until 9:15 last night so when I got home I unloaded the tires and wheels and unboxed my swingarm bushings. I put them in the freezer last night. I spent this morning ordering new seals and bearings for the engine and dropping the engine cases and covers off at the blasters. I also picked up new bolts for the engine from the local fastenal store.

Not a super busy weekend but it was productive. I got the triple trees mounted and the swingarm and rear wheel together. Started wire brushing the front forks and got a mock up done. I'm going to a friends place today to hopefully commandere a set of 13.5-14.5 rear shocks for the bike. Heres a mock up pic. Crank bearings and seals came in today, Painting engine cases tonight as well as making a front number plate, designing the rear flat track fender and seat, and starting on modifying the exhaust and building a carb mount. I'll be building the engine either Wednesday or Thursday night.

IMG_4559.jpg

Picked up a pair of 14" shocks off a friend for $10 last night and got a final roller built and got the sport bike spools installed and my stand adjusted. I'm waiting on my front fork gaiters to come in tonight. Painting the engine and baking the paint on. and hopefully engine assembly tomorrow night.

Final roller 14.jpg

Spools.jpg

10/2/16 I picked up the tank from my welder last night, as well as greased the axles, Put on new brake shoes and buttoned up the roller as final. Made my fron number plate last night, now I'm waiting on my headlights to come in so I can complete the front number plate and have a set of numbers made. Ordered a voltage regulator this morning so I don't have to run a battery for my LED lights. I picked up my 20 gauge steel this morning to build my seat pan. Tonight and tomorrow I'll be cutting metal for the tail section and setting up the seat pan. Should be a productive weekend. Putting the bottom end together Monday or Tuesday and then finish the engine before Friday.
Heres some pics:
Roller with tank.jpg

Number plate.jpg

Welp, very productive weekend! I pounded out and welded up my tail section. refurbed one of the shocks, and got the other shock dismantled and ready to be refurbed. Engine assembly tomorro night. and wiring is on the table for tonight. Should be done very soon! Here are some pics. Also, My powder coater is incredible. He shot and baked my tank and seat pan in 3 hours today.

Cutting and shaping.jpg

Cutting and shaping 2.jpg

Final cut.jpg

Finished tail.jpg

Powder tank..jpg

Bottom end is back together minus the clutches, paint is done, chassis is finished. All thats left is top end, clutches, engine mounting, wiring, and running it.

IMG_4680.jpg

Looking great Sonny, great build and great pace ;)

Thanks man, I've got the tank and seat pan being repainted now (I decided on a different paint scheme), and I finished building my Carburetor mount last night. Heres my list to finish up:

Get gas tank and seat pan back
Coat Gas tank
Have Kenny roberts stripes made
Test run the engine
and then Button everything up and ride it.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/attachment.php?
attachmentid=58805&stc=1&d=1446228516

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 375
Back