The Queen is dead, long live the King

MaxPete

Lucille, Betty, Demi, Gretel & Big Sue money pits.
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Queen Elizabeth II died yesterday at the age of 96 at her beloved home in Scotland - Balmoral.

That was a very sad day indeed for the British Commonwealth. She was a fine person and a model of grace, dignity, good humour and class - underscored with an inner grit that befitted her high office.

According to Bagehot, the rights and duties of the Monarch are: to be consulted, to encourage and to warn - and she did that very well for 70 years.

Queen_Elizabeth_on-a-Bike.png

Would that her son does as well during his time.

God save the King.

Always had a love hate relationship with the royals........The last 24 hours have been interesting to say the least, my emotions have been on the sad side for the most. QE II was the person on the screen i stood up for when the national anthem, at the time, (God save the queen), was played before any matinee or evening movie we used to go to at the local theater. I cant remember a time in my life without her, 2 years before i was born was her coronation. Couldn't help but have her in my life.

She dragged the monarchy, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century keeping it relevant amongst the ups and downs, (and most of those downs would have killed off any other monarchies), she saw off all the naysayers with her humility, from being able to relate and talk to beggars on the street to world heads of state and no mater her personal opinion she made them all feel important. She did throw shade in such a subtle way, to convey her feelings, but no one could really define the intent, as it was hardly ever spoken about it by her, at least not in public.

One has to wonder how much is spent on the royalty. I'm not against the royalty, although I am for an Australian republic, but the money spent on them, their castles, maintenance, travel, parades is ridiculous by anyone's standards
I wonder what that 1.6kg, solid gold crown, they'll stick on Charlie's head, would be worth. And the Queen's estimated wealth of 500,000,000 is exempt from Britain's 40 percent inheritance tax, how fair is that.
Sure, the royals may generate a lot of income, but nothing like the expenditure to keep them.
Before all the royalists start jumping up and down, I just think that wealth could be put to a far better purpose, not to mention the expenditure on our politicians. Modern society has it's prioritise mixed up a little me thinks.

Last edited:
I fully agree that modern society has its priorities mixed up, true to a lesser or greater extent all over the planet.

There are strong arguments either way about inherited wealth and inherited office. But the monarchy is not very expensive - the royal estates generate a lot of income and the Privvy purse paid out to the monarch is a vanishingly small proportion of UK Government spending. And that's before you add up the cash flow generated by tourism or attempt to value the soft power Britain has benefited from during Elizabeth's reign.

But however arbitrary and unfair the inherited office of monarch, I think we would need to think long and hard about replacing it - what with? If a new UK constitution was written by politicians, then it would benefit the political class, not the people. We would likely end up with a furious scrap for power every few years which would lead to deep divisions across society, as in other leading democracies. And as has been the experience in Scotland where we have had two very divisive referendums in the past decade. And whatever alternative was concocted by politicians, the expense would certainly be far higher.

I am sure the perspective must be very different from other Commonwealth countries.

Quick search and in the 20/21 year the Royal family cost taxpayers, the British taxpayer, 105 million, and held or attended 2500 engagements to earn their keep

Good points on income generated from tourists.

From a commonwealth countries perspective. The governor general, (queens/Kings representative), costs the taxpayer.

As for being a republic that creates another set of problems due to how, and what is the constitution going to be, to represent and recognize Aborigine when we are only just touching the edges of how the country is to take responsibility and recognize injustices of the past, to negotiating a parliament and laws, that is inclusive of, and recognizing all peoples rights from first nation to now and how to incorporate some of the laws of the aborigine into modern day society/republics constatution

The biggest issue is who overseas the head of a republic and how to put in safeguard to stop that person from becoming an autocratic leader.................at present the Governor general has the power to disband parliament and set up elections. if the controlling party looses it way and cannot govern in its own right.

Quick search and in the 20/21 year the Royal family cost taxpayers, the British taxpayer, 105 million, and held or attended 2500 engagements to earn their keep
That £102M in 20/21 was total expenditure by the Royal Family - the UK taxpayer contributed rather less than that, £51.8M core expenditure plus £34.5M for refurbishment of Buckingham Palace. BTW Buckingham Palace belongs to the nation, not the Monarch.

It gets complicated to work out if you include/don't include cost of other things such as policing royal public events or the cost of military parades. After all, the Police and military personnel are paid whether they are at a royal event, filling in forms down the nick or getting muddy on Salisbury Plain.

UK Government spending over the 20/21 financial year was £1,092.4 Billion, which makes the Privvy purse something around 0.05%? Half of one thousandth, which is possibly less than the cost of running the Presidency in some republics?

And the Queen's estimated wealth of 500,000,000 is exempt from Britain's 40 percent inheritance tax, how fair is that.
Sure, the royals may generate a lot of income, but nothing like the expenditure to keep them.
Before all the royalists start jumping up and down, I just think that wealth could be put to a far better purpose, not to mention the expenditure on our politicians. Modern society has it's prioritise mixed up a little me thinks.

If your concerned bout how much tax Bonnie prince Charlie is getting away with in Britten. Have a read on how much the fossil fuel companies are getting away with over here.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/mon...s/news-story/0a8d9a0a002ca1b2cd2e827d259adb71

That's old news, I think everyone in Australia is aware how much the big companies get away with. If you have the financial resources, you can get away with pretty well anything, that's a given regardless of where you live.
In his heyday, it was reported Allan Bond paid $8.00.

Sorry it is old news from May 22 and covers the last 7 years...................Bond was when??? ......80's. I should delete my disinformation.........na

'everyone in Australia is aware how much the big companies get away with'. Ring a bell, even a small one. I didn't read your link, I very rarely read anything you post or link to. I don't know why1

I fully agree that modern society has its priorities mixed up, true to a lesser or greater extent all over the planet.

There are strong arguments either way about inherited wealth and inherited office. But the monarchy is not very expensive - the royal estates generate a lot of income and the Privvy purse paid out to the monarch is a vanishingly small proportion of UK Government spending. And that's before you add up the cash flow generated by tourism or attempt to value the soft power Britain has benefited from during Elizabeth's reign.

But however arbitrary and unfair the inherited office of monarch, I think we would need to think long and hard about replacing it - what with? If a new UK constitution was written by politicians, then it would benefit the political class, not the people. We would likely end up with a furious scrap for power every few years which would lead to deep divisions across society, as in other leading democracies. And as has been the experience in Scotland where we have had two very divisive referendums in the past decade. And whatever alternative was concocted by politicians, the expense would certainly be far higher.

I am sure the perspective must be very different from other Commonwealth countries.

There has always been a very small and not very vocal minority here in Canada that favours a republic over the monarchy but it never seems to get much traction - unless one of the royal kids does something idiotic (...and I mean, how often does that happen? ;)). If Charles can keep his "inner twit" reigned-in, he should be fine I think. In my view, the money spent on the royals, as pointed out by Raymond, while annoying in tough economic times, is actually microscopic compared to the value of the tourism they generate for Great Britain and the Commonwealth (ya gotta love those red tunics on the Mounties and the GGFG marching around Parliament Hill in Ottawa every summer, etc.).

Besides, every country needs a head of state to moderate the occasional loonie dipwad who is elected by the bootless and unhorsed who make up the general population (as folks in the UK can undoubtedly understand these days...). Actually combining the head of state role with that of head of government (as, I think is the case in the US) can also result in some....fairly complex times.

Here in Canada we just ditched a Governor General (former astronut, the Rt. Hon. Julie Payette) who was a raging hag to everyone around her for years. As was well-known to anyone who could read, she had been fired from every job she's ever had since the 1990's for egregious employee abuse before our present brainiac PM appointed her GG ( Julie Payette - humanitarian ). Can you imagine having someone like her as head of state AND head of government?

Also, as, I think Skull pointed out, the monarchy would be likely replaced by some lumpy politically-driven structure that would undoubtedly cost even more - and could generate some serious problems should an unworthy head of state be named (like say, some sleezy reality TV wanker :yikes: or some political hack who donated big bucks to the governing party or some unworthy fruitcake who had a big name and a small brain).

Anyhow, that's my $0.02 CAD (which is about $0.014 USD at the present rate of exchange).

Long live the King (as long as he follows the rules).

Pete

Last edited:
Just purely from a historical perspective, there have been something like a dozen monarchies dissolved world wide in the last century. One of the last being King Faud of Egypt in 1953. Those who are desperately poor will always resent those who live an opulent life.
I personally have always found the British monarchy to be a charming modern anachronism , with all their formal traditions. Admittedly there has only been one Queen in my lifetime.
Does anyone else think Charles will abdicate his throne to William sooner than later? Get out of the spotlight and go back to hiding at Balmoral castle? 😄

Back