The Race Season has ended

cowboy3669

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The season ended just about the way it started. Only this time it was an
intake valve that didn't want to stay where it belonged.
the intake is on the right. the cause was the broken retainer shown next to
a good one.

Attachments

• bent valves 003.jpg
    bent valves 003.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 129
  • bent valves 002.jpg
    bent valves 002.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 107
  • bent valves 004.jpg
    bent valves 004.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 101
"Nandan's Dictum**
"Mind thine RPMs, lest thine whirlybits seek communion with the sun!"

** Nandan is an Royal Enfield maven.

only the weak whirlybits. Iseem to do a good job of finding the weak ones.:thumbsup:

That goes without saying. You're pushing this design WAY beyond its designed power levels and discovering all the weak links.

I think your best bet is to try to get an idea of how many runs/cycles a part can take before it fails, and replace it well before then. This will take some dilligent record keeping. You'll spend half your time in the pits doccumenting which parts have how much use on them.

That goes without saying. You're pushing this design WAY beyond its designed power levels and discovering all the weak links.

I think your best bet is to try to get an idea of how many runs/cycles a part can take before it fails, and replace it well before then. This will take some dilligent record keeping. You'll spend half your time in the pits doccumenting which parts have how much use on them.

been trying to do that,but in using used parts I can only guess at some of the duty cycles. I've been lucky over the years only broke two retainers and broke one valve. head gaskets are another story,but that may have something to do the N2O and turbo boost.

have not located the other half of the broken retainer,yet. will have to take cases apart i guess. not on either drain plug magnet or trapped by lowertrap door.

Hmmm, steel usually gives you SOME warning. :shrug:

When I break the steel ones, they split on one side first, and you can hear them "click" - sounds alot like a valve out of adjustment... The click is the retainer spreading and coming back together under load, until it splits into 2 pieces completely - ending your fun :laugh:

Back