The Ride You Haven't Made Yet

Did I say on the XS650? Oh my, I may have mislead ya'll...#2 son on the GSF outside of Yarmouth NS last summer.
yarmouth.jpg

Rt 66 in northern AZ on the SG. I'd need to get the seat rebuilt first. West Charleston Road route in Las Vegas.

Yup - I'd be on my ST1300 Road Locomotive

All the comforts of home: comfy seat, heated grips, ABS brakes, shaft drive, electrically actuated windscreen, power adjustable headlight, 127 HP, 30 litres of fuel for bladder-busting range, stewardess, on-board galley and washroom, SurroundSound IMAX CInema, Hipster-approved espresso-latte maker, fax machine, yoghurt dispenser,....

It's like that damned shopping mall that was trashed by the Joliet Jake and Elwood in the BluesMobile....this thing has EVERYTHING!

IMG_0029.JPG

Last edited:
Bucket list said ride lower 48. Completed 39 in 3 major rides; 1) DC to Galveston (wife flew to Houston) past the Elephants Feet (google them, the rock in between is chest high, amazing) to Las Vegas (wife flew home) to LA up the ruins of Rt66 with a stop in Roswell, NM to Chicago and on to Milwaukee then back home. Duration 6 weeks. 2) Autotrain to FL to Key West to Everglade City to Atlanta (wife flies home) to Tail of the Dragon to Myrtle Beach then home. Duration 4 weeks. 3) DC to Seattle (pick up wife) to Sturgis (week before rally, stupid crowded) down to Denver (wife flies home) then on to home. Duration 5 weeks. These rides were on the Road King, I ride the XS1 locally because my old ass can't take the vibration any more. This leaves only NY, NJ and north (close but heavy traffic) + AR as unridden of the lower 48. The goal is still to get them, only time will tell. john

If you count car, which I don't, I only have RI and AR left. God this Country is beautiful. See it from a car, experience it on a bike!

A ride I'd go on if I were half my age and had five times the income would be that Royal Enfield guided tour through India and Nepal.
In reality, I'll take my Silver Bullet on local trips of not much over 100KM. If it ain't cold or raining.

Indeed! RobinC, QL and I will be stopping by at Gary's place in Baraboo WI, and then we're all coming to get you in 'toon and then we're Yukon-bound!

You'd better get going on those sit-ups Frederick! We figure you can carry the extra BEvERages in the sidecar.

Once I can really trust Stella to not burn her rectifier, I'll be making my longest trip so far out to Apache Junction to see my colleague about mounting that darn luggage rack. Once that's done, I want to make the trip out of the valley up to Payson. It's only two hours out of town, but serious elevation gain, change of scenery, and 20°F cooler.

I'd also seriously like to do some good touring riding from one state park to another camping, but unless I go the sidecar route I'm forced to leave my camping partners at home. The two-legged one might forgive me, but the four?

Sounds great DB! My advice would be to avoid that big huge interstate out to AJ - and puddle along on the surface streets. That way if you have a problem, you can simply coast off the road and sort it out and not have to worry about some clown running you over at 75 MPH.

As for the camping trip.....there are always ways of doing these things.....

E95443AD-11FB-4414-9492-D6EC8918A25D-2139-000003BA54DC3C91.jpeg

On the avoidance of the interstate out to AJ, most definitely.

On the sidecar, I don't think Stella's paltry 90psi is going to cut it.

Back