The slow and unsteady VI swingarm bobber build

junkshow

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Thought I would start a proper build thread now that I have a little more time to do so. My little one is a bit more self sufficient and I can spend more time in the garage.

Backstory...

I picked up the bike (untitled) from a buddy for next to nothing, but the engine was in three different boxes. Got that rebuilt and worked most of the bugs out of it. Then I picked up a titled frame that installed a VI brat kit on. I've been grinding off the unwanted bits and had my man Mike over at Lolyphe Customs help me out with new neck gussets to mount my tank. It turned out pretty sick an its different from what I've seen before. Here's a couple shots of the new gusset and tank mounted.

I've also been trying to figure out how I'm gonna mount the rear fender with the VI kit. I thinking I might hard mount it under the seat rather than the swingarm. Any suggestions/pics are appreciated.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 467
Not sure why this pic didn't attach last time, but hers is the tank mounted.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 337
Also, the list of things done thus far:

Forks lowered 2"
New MC
Stainless front brake line from slingshot
Swingarm needle bearings
Top end engine rebuild (hone, rings, gaskets, etc.)
New cam chain tensioner/guide
Home made battery box to fit a Bellistic battery u der the seat.
Pamco
From scratch wiring harness.

Posted via Mobile

Had a minute to paint my battery box, it'll hold the Bellistic 8 cell battery. I decided to use a bettery since I will eventually install blinkers and maybe use my starter.

It's painted with truck bed liner out of a spray can and turned out ok I think. Ive ised it before on cruiser bike fenders and it holds up well. This is a first attempt and it'll be rebuilt this summer (maybe).

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 255
I think I'll go that route so I get a little support behind the seat. Just gotta figure out how to mount it.

Here's a pic with the battery box mounted for mock up. When complete there will be a leather strap with rivits (to secure the battery) bolted to where it mounts to the frame.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 333
Found this pic on the interweb, I think it's from a Bratstyle Japan bike. Might go this route to mount the fender. Any other ideas?

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 336
Found this pic on the interweb, I think it's from a Bratstyle Japan bike. Might go this route to mount the fender. Any other ideas?

Posted via Mobile

That's a good way to do it. I went the swing arm route but doubled up and mount to both swingarm and brace.

full

full

full

full

I saw that in your build thread, seems like it would work great since you're using the kit to strengthen the swingarm. Since I'm just running the stock swingarm I don't think I'll have enough support for the fender unless I use fender struts.

Really, I'm just at a stand still until I can manage to break away from te family for an afternoon in the garage.

Posted via Mobile

I saw that in your build thread, seems like it would work great since you're using the kit to strengthen the swingarm. Since I'm just running the stock swingarm I don't think I'll have enough support for the fender unless I use fender struts.

Really, I'm just at a stand still until I can manage to break away from te family for an afternoon in the garage.

Posted via Mobile

Yeah I hear ya! Getting a lot of slack from my girl about spending too much time with my mistresses aka, "momey put" aka xs650's.

I think the bratstyle way of mounting the fender will look awesome man! Did you see Hugh's brat bike he just built?

So I'm gonna try the minimalist battery from 650Central and was wondering something. Since I made that battery box to fit a Bellistic 8cell battery that I'm not using at his time and I mounted the rectifier in the bottom (like the stock location) for cooling purposes. Is it ok to mount the regulator inside the battery box since I have the room or does it need air flow?

Posted via Mobile

So no feedback on the regulator mounting, how about a tank liner question?

So I was planning in lining my tank. It's a new sporty style tank, but I just wanted extra protection in case there are pin holes and to minimize internal rust I the future. I've used POR-15 on other bikes, and wanted to give Red Kote a try.

What's the process to keep the petcock threads clear of Red Kote if I dump out the excess there? I thought about dumping out the filler hole, but there is a little lip and I don't want the liner to pool up. Who has used Red Kote before and what are some tips for successful results?

Thanks in advance.

Posted via Mobile

As long as you don't use Kreem. I heard alot of people complaining about it getting into the carb. Most people and shops I have run into only use POR 15 even if they carry red kote, kreem etc..

I think I'll actually skip I the liner altogether. I'm gonna fill it with gas and if there a pinhole somewhere, I'll drain and red Kote it then.

I was able to spend a little time in the garage yesterday and got some parts put on. I need to wire this sucker up, figure out a tail light and make my seat. Then we'll see about firing her up again.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 309
Oh yeah, and that fender is just temporary. I don't particularly like the flat trailer fender in this bike. I need to find a fender that matches the width and contour of my tire, and maybe has a bit of a lip in the end.

Posted via Mobile

Back