The sweet spot

SINKING78

Oil, Grease, & Gas Please
Reaction score
I am curious where everyone's high speed cruising "sweet spot" is. I can "rail the throttle" and do 80mph if I want, but it's not very comfortable. I'm running 17/32, 34mm Mikuni, Hard tailed, stock motor, sparx ign, open pipes ... 50-55mph is where the bike just "sits" and cruises right along no probs.. Past that point, she shakes like Catherine Hepburn in a helicopter. (75mph on my bike is fucking scary) I'm at the point where I have my ride "tuned in" and having so much fun with it! But I am looking for comparisons to see if I can improve performance somewhere. How do you cruise?:bike:

I'm running 18/30 and I'm pretty confortable at 65MPH-70MPH. Above that I'm not so sure about. Someday I'll have a rephased 700-750 motor and that should get me above 80 just fine. I'm also hardtailed.

And I can still do a burnout with 18/30.

Great info..tried and true. This has been covered here before, I know.... My motor seems to be running like a champ. But, givin the difference between my gearing and your gearing, 17/32 apposed to 18/30 I'm guessing it does make a BIG difference.. thanks Phail

Maybe another sprocket swap and a new chain in my future. I would feel more comfortable being able to "cruise" around 65.

"Tried and true" that you need drastically raised gearing and a rephased big-bore motor to run down the road at 80? If you think that, you have a lot of learning to do. These vertical twins are not Hardly Ablesons. They are not designed to pull at 100 RPM like an old John Deere 2-banger tractor. If your motorcycle starts to feel "scary" after 55 mph, there's something wrong with your tuning, your motor, or your chassis. Period.

Back home 55-60 felt about right. In Texas where the distances are vast and the roads are straight and the speed limit is high, I got comfortable holding 70 or better. But the bike felt exactly the same; the adjustment was in my head. I don't like going faster than what my senses tell me I could expect to somewhat survive if the bike exploded underneath me :) And I don't like to keep the revs real high for hours on end and days on end, for the sake of the motor. 17/34.

these bikes vibrate alot any way. i have never been on a hardtail ( like to keep the kidneys) but after new swingarm bushings, wheel barings, chain and sprokets (17/31)
and high speed wheel balance this thing will do an all day 80mph, had it around a 100 many times

On my old 71 going much over 70 was dodgy because of the beat down stock suspension. Your ass would catch a disturbing amount of air if you hit a bump at that speed. The engine had lots more to give though. I'm giving it new suspension and wheels this year so it should feel better at speed after that.

The motor vibrates a lot but it's supposed to. Everything about it is designed to run best in the 4k-6k area so don't fear the vibes, that's just it's way of saying it's happy

I can probable go over 80MPH, but it's not confortable. 65-70MPH feels good. I'll let you know after I rebuild my front end or get a springer.

I run 17-32 gears on a stock frame, my bike is rock steady to 110 plus. I have yet to rephase but I might someday. Stays exactly where I point it with no problems. Best cruising speed is anywhere between 45 and 85. You will find that rigid frames are never as smooth as swing arm frames and never handle as well. Had rigid frames been smooth or handled as well then none of the factories would have ever changed over to swing arms.

That said, lots of things from out of balance tires to low tires to unbalanced carbs, ever so slight misalignment, loose spokes etc, etc, etc... can turn a good riding and good driving bike into a real pain in the... Well you know where it hurts.

Back