Theory and Operation? BS38 Carbs.

My reason for switching to pods was because I was having trouble finding the rubber for the air box, otherwise I would keep it on. I prefer what the manufacturer has given me

Yam # = 341-14453-00-00 2 ea.required
Amazon: Yamaha 4NK-14453-00-00 JOINT,AIR CLNR 1; 4NK144530000 $7.66 each, only 5 in stock Two each required between carb and air box

Search for the one between the boxes. Get the numbers for the search here,
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1977/xs650d/intake-xs650d

Thank you for that link.

Now I just need to find the pilot jets.
Tiesco, I have the BS38 on my 77 standard. I just rebuilt them by the book. I wanted to stay as close to stock as I could. They are really good carbs for a stock machine. I think they are the best ones Yama came out. But since I'm fixing to try open mufflers, I may have to richen it up some. not sure yet, everything else being stock.

Tiesco, I have the BS38 on my 77 standard. I just rebuilt them by the book. I wanted to stay as close to stock as I could. They are really good carbs for a stock machine. I think they are the best ones Yama came out. But since I'm fixing to try open mufflers, I may have to richen it up some. not sure yet, everything else being stock.

I think they are good carbs to learn on. Easy to work on and VERY easy to get on and off. I had an 81 CB750 and the carbs were the main issue and that's the first machine I gave up on. The struggle just wasn't worth it for me. Bought this bike and I haven't looked back. This bike is very well mannered.

Update: leaned the needle and it runs and sounds much healthier now. I will try to find a size up for the pilot jet.

Here are the plugs after riding around for about 3 hours yesterday after all the adjustments.
20200405_191216.jpg

Boy, those plugs are burning very clean, maybe too clean, lol. One of the first rules of jetting for mods is that when you think you're right, try the size above and below where you're at to verify. Obviously you know a size smaller is no good, but another size up could be even better than where you are now. The nice thing about these BS38s is that you can swap main jets right through the drain plugs with the carbs still in place using a stubby screwdriver. I've even done it on the side of the road while jet testing.

Yes, the '76-'77 carb set is said to be one of the best of the 38s. It was the first to have a linkage, which makes syncing easier, and was old enough to not be too E.P.A. mandated. Because of this, I wanted to try them and acquired a set for my '78. I have the basic "pods and pipes" mods (UNI pods and the older, good Commando mufflers) and the final jetting I arrived at was one up on the pilots (to a 27.5), four up on the mains (to a 132.5), and the needles leaned a step to slot #2. 132.5 mains were the largest I could fit without incurring upper midrange break-up even with the needles leaned a step.

There are various jetting recommendations for the 650 around the internet. MikesXS used to have some, calling for mains up into the low 140s. That can work for some of the other 650 carb sets that came with larger mains to begin with, but you'll never get mains that big to work in this '76-'77 set. It's just too many sizes up plus the very large (rich) Z-8 needle jets won't allow it. So, re-jetting these 650 carbs for mods is more about the number of sizes up than the actual sizes themselves. Usually one or two sizes above stock is all that's needed. I run 140 mains in my '78 carb set but that's only two sizes above the stock 135s. These '76-'77 carbs can often use more sizes up because their stock 122.5 was so small.

I have been having some trouble finding the 27.5 BS30/96 style pilot jets. I can't seem to find them from Dennis Kirk, niche, or mikes.

You don't want the BS30/96 type, your carb set uses the VM22/210 type. You can tell which type your float bowls are designed to use by looking at the area where they mount, at how the air gets fed to them. If you look at yours, you should see they are the VM22/210 type .....

qj73qga.jpg

BS30/96 type bowls feed the air down an angled passageway to the bottom of the jet. VM22/210 type bowls feed the air over the top, to the top or above the jet. This explains the large size difference between the BS30/96 and VM22/210 types used. The BS30/96 types are all sized in the 40s while the VM22/210 types are sized in the 20s. That's because the VM22/210s are flowing straight fuel (air added after the jet) while the BS30/96s are flowing a weaker already made fuel/air mix.

A quick search found these as about the best deal. It's a 4 pack but it seems just a pair would cost you near the same. Might as well get 4, lol. Maybe you can pass the extras along to someone else here .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikuni-Pil...048?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

That Carb Information chart was a bit misleading then. I missed some of the fine print at the bottom where it states that the 76-77 carbs use the VM type pilots. Thanks, @5twins.

Yes, you also missed the asterisks next to the '76-'77 and '78-'79 pilot jet sizes in the pilot jet column, and the corresponding explanation for it in the "Misc." column. It was difficult to show that pilot jet type difference on the chart. That's why I also mentioned it in the footnotes at the bottom. I did the best I could, lol.

Back