These things just keep multiplying!!! šŸ¤¤

DB90

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just picked up this beauty! Did some fabrication work in trade for it. 1979 Special!

This bike is for the wife. I had built her an 83 KZ650 and it caught on fire and burnt to the ground, so this is to replace that. Was so so sad, I had just finished building the KZ, she took it for 1 ride and then it caught on fire and was not savable. Hopefully she loves this one just as much

I will be stripping much of the stock parts off of this thing as she hates the stock look (atta girl!šŸ˜†) We are going for a stripped down Brat/Scrambler type look. She likes em lean and mean (dunno why she picked me! šŸ˜‚)

So! If anyone needs any parts let me know! I will be getting rid of mostly everything that doesn't fit the build. That includes the full wiring harness too!

I'll put a pic or 2 of the KZ as well just for fun. It sure was a pretty bike!

Attachments

• Yamaha XS650 left side.jpg
    Yamaha XS650 left side.jpg
    778.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Yamaha XS 650 - right side.jpg
    Yamaha XS 650 - right side.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20240203-132741~2.png
    Screenshot_20240203-132741~2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20240203-132754~2.png
    Screenshot_20240203-132754~2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
Was the KZ engine soft mounted?
Will she like the vibes of the XS650?
Just asking.
I have 2 4 cylinder Yami XJ650's and they are WAY smoother than the XS650.
That being said, I like the size, weight & Simplicity of the XS650 in a different way than I like the XJ650.

'79 is a very good year, but it looks like that one has been running hot. The whole point of the double walled headpipes is to stop them from turning colors like that. Just a simple handlebar change will transform the look and feel of the bike .....

$200SpecialClean.jpg

Just asking.
That being said, I like the size, weight & Simplicity of the XS650 in a different way than I like the XJ650.

I don't believe the KZ was soft mounted. We went with an XS because the KZ was wayyyyy heavy. I think she will be happy.

'79 is a very good year, but it looks like that one has been running hot. The whole point of the double walled headpipes is to stop them from turning colors like that. Just a simple handlebar change will transform the look and feel of the bike .....

View attachment 261041

Yeah it definitely looks that way. Hoping there's no damage to anything. I did a compression test and it's testing at 120psi. Abit low but it has also been sitting for 3 years and I didn't squirt any oil down in there to lube up the rings. I'll do that later this evening and determine where to go from there.

My 77 engine was testing extremely low until I put oil in it and it shit up to 150 psi.

Just asking.
The vibes may be a positive... (Not trying to be crude) My ex and a "few others" liked riding with me on in the late 70s. Part of the "ex" reason. The XS is a wonderful bike at or under 55 mph (the national speed limit in the 70s and early 80s).

You'll get a better compression reading on a warm engine as well, so maybe check it again after you run it a little. But, I'd look inside the carbs before trying to do that. If they weren't drained when it was parked, they'll need a good cleaning.

Just asking.
What is faster or more powerful. Xs or xj

What is faster or more powerful. Xs or xj
I'm still trying to figure that out for certain cause I'm really not into power myself, Right now the XJ650 seems like it has more Umph on the acceleration but I don't tend to push either one and honestly, don't max throttle either one. One day soon I hope to test them.

I like looks light weight, simplicity of the 2 carbs and sound of twin XS, the XJ is smooth though cause the 4cyl and soft mounted.
XS is chain, XJ is Shaft
XS valve clearance is simple to change
XJ valve clearance requires a special tool and to change disks
XS is easy to sync w/ Tank on.
XJ you have to pull the tank and use IV bottle for syncing all 4 carbs
XJ, has carb bowl drains so hooking up tubes to check float levels is piece of cake if your troubleshooting carb problems.
XS you can change main jet from below, XJ you have to pull all apart.
XJ is much easier to put on center stand than XS
XJ Maxim tank is sloped up more like cruiser style, XJSeca is more Cafe Racer style. I like the XS tank design better.
XJ does not have the chain guide de lamination issue.

You'll get a better compression reading on a warm engine as well, so maybe check it again after you run it a little. But, I'd look inside the carbs before trying to do that. If they weren't drained when it was parked, they'll need a good cleaning.

I will definitely be doing that on both warm engine and checking the carbs. It appears to have been drained of all gas when in storage so that may be a plus. However it does look like there is some rust in the tank. That may need to be addressed first.

Got it running today! Very rough but running. The carbs that came in it are extremely caked with crap so I threw on a different set of BS38'S. They weren't tuned whatsoever. It showed me that it is a runner, so that's a plus!

I'll be tearing things off very soon. Will list it all here for sale. Not sure if anyone even cares about stock parts anymore haha

Back