Thinkin' on trading my 750 Nighthawk for a GS500

Highside

Lord of the Flies
Reaction score
Before you accuse me of blasphemy (or worse) here's my reasoning.

I mostly use my NH for commuting to work/school (20 miles on PCH), and for trips into the Sierra Nevadas and other nearby parts of the National Forrest. My NH has a 17 tooth front sprocket which helps its range slightly (20 or so miles more out of a tank) but I'm still hitting reserve around 200 miles with 30 miles 'till empty.
The GS500 advertizes (and many owners support the claim) almost 60 miles to the galon with a 5.3 gallon tank. That should get you to the 300 mile range. Assuming that this is true, and I can get this mileage with a full set of luggage, this might be what i'm loking for.
I've noticed an my long range rides that I'm always in danger of running out of gas, and I'm now in the habit of bringing an extra gallon of gas in my seat bag in case I run out. I've had to use it on more than one occasion. The lack of range on my NH is really limiting my fun on it and I want something that will take me far away from the nearest gas station without having to worry about running out of gas.

Once you are used to the power of a 750-4 a 500 twin is going to seem pretty slow especially in the mountains. I feel for you though; the Honda fours are gas suckers in general. My wife had a 92 750 nighthawk but went to a 750 shadow for looks and lower seat height. She went from 40 mpg to 50 plus. The alternator/starter drive can be problematic on the nighthawks.

The GS Twin is a super tough engine, nearly indestructible but the chassis, more so the suspension, is the Achilles heel. Like mentioned above, they are a little bouncy specially in the front end.

The one I had, I had replaced the stock springs, better fork oil and swapped out the rear shock for a SV 650 unit. Cut off (yes the exhaust is all one piece) the ginormis! muffler and put on a Yoshimura off a CBR 900. Jetted the carbs to match.

Overall, the bike is comfy and gets good mileage but lacks power. However, you just ride the bike as they intended and you should be happy with it. You cant break it unless you really really try.

The GS Twin is a super tough engine, nearly indestructible but the chassis, more so the suspension, is the Achilles heel. Like mentioned above, they are a little bouncy specially in the front end. The one I had, I had replaced the stock springs, better fork oil and swapped out the rear shock for a SV 650 unit.

Sounds typical. So I would need to invest a few hundred bucks to have it handle OK.

Cut off (yes the exhaust is all one piece) the ginormis! muffler and put on a Yoshimura off a CBR 900. Jetted the carbs to match.

I've got a Yoshimura Muffler from an XS650 pipe,that should do the trick. :thumbsup:

Overall, the bike is comfy and gets good mileage but lacks power. However, you just ride the bike as they intended and you should be happy with it. You cant break it unless you really really try.

I just hope it still has power up at 10,000 feet when I'm in the Sierras and nearby mountian ranges. I'd like to ride up to the White Mnts and see the Bristlecone Pines again. :bike:

I just hope it still has power up at 10,000 feet when I'm in the Sierras and nearby mountian ranges. I'd like to ride up to the White Mnts and see the Bristlecone Pines again. :bike:

With a pipe (muffler removal) , jetkit and filter change, getting 40hp at the rear wheel isnt hard. Should be enough to get it anywhere really.

Sounds like you have some of the parts already... go for it.

With a pipe (muffler removal) , jetkit and filter change, getting 40hp at the rear wheel isnt hard. Should be enough to get it anywhere really.

Sounds like you have some of the parts already... go for it.

Yes, but that's 40HP @ sea level (or there abouts). at 10,000 feet, you'd have somewhere in the 25HP range, maybe 30 at the most.

try and find a used Ninja 650R then. They have been out for as few years. I have a 2010 Versys (same motor) and it was awesome in the mountains even loaded with camping gear and my full Givi hard bags. 650R also has Givi bags for it too.

Great line up, Nice 650cc parallel twin, super upright and comfy seating.

kawasaki_ninja650_7581.jpg

Actually, I'd be more inclined to get the Kawi Versys.

Truth be told, I think the ultimate bike for my uses would be the 2008 and newer BMW F650GS with the 800cc engine. It's advertized at 71 HP and 65 MPG. Since the gas tank is under the seat, I'm sure it would be easy to add an auxiliary tank, in the standard location, to give it a 400 mile range :cool:

i love my Versys....7000km trip this summer.

my gf drives a 2001 bmw f650 GS. but it's the single. and it not much better than my KLR650. Which is a great bike...but for other reasons. The stock tank location is the airbox....

Awesome!!! :thumbsup:

That's exactly what I want for a daily rider.

A bike that I can ride everyday, then pack up the luggage on the weekend, ride it 500 miles, then go camping off of a dirt road in the wilderness somewhere.

I found a 2009 F650GS for sale on craigslist, but it's all the way out in Phoenix. :(

BTW, I can't tell from the pics there, which coast are you on??

haha, CENTRAL Canada....Flat flat flat farm land with no curves in the road to be seen. Had to drive 3000km's west to get to Tofino B.C.

Owning a new/newer bike for travelling/DD is fantastic. Twist and go. I really can't stress enough how much i love my Versys. Actually, My KLR is incredible too.

Last edited:
I think the BMW F650 is still the Aprilia manufactured engine? I know Kymco makes all the BMW singles for about 3 years now... if you hop onto ADV and find the "show us your worst" thread, a majority of the explosions are the BMW Singles. (Korean made ones).

I would go with the Kawi... able to withstand a shotgun at close range and smoother. Parts cheaper also.. :)

i have seen those posts on ADV rider. Yeh Rotax quit making the singles a while ago i think.

Me too. I love the fact i can Farkle out either of my Kawis for waaay less than the Euro stuff i have owned.

haha, CENTRAL Canada....Flat flat flat farm land with no curves in the road to be seen. Had to drive 3000km's west to get to Tofino B.C.

Owning a new/newer bike for travelling/DD is fantastic. Twist and go. I really can't stress enough how much i love my Versys. Actually, My KLR is incredible too.

I think the Versys might be more in my budget but the capabilities of the (800cc) F650GS can't be matched. I especially like the fact that the main tank is under the seat, allowing the possibility to mount an auxiliary tank in the standard location. If you were able to get 4 gallons up front, now you're talking about a bike that can venture almost 500 miles from your last fill up. If I can do all the mountian camping that I want, this opens up a ton of possibilities. I can ride deep into the Sierra Nevadas without worry of running out of gas.

Back