Thinking of starting out and a little unsure

mjbarr7

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey, saw a bobber and fell in love. I have been considering buying a bike for a while and just got a job which allows me to do so (I'm 21). I was originally thinking of just buying a newish harley or triumph but would love to get my hands dirty and be able to really call it mine. What I am wondering is just how involved is the process? I am fairly mechanically inclined (built go-karts and all that jazz when I was younger) but have limited work with proper bikes and cars as I've never owned one of my own, also never opened up an engine which is a big concern of mine. I am just wondering the basic process of chopping or bobbing (not sure if this is the correct lingo please ignore my ignorance). Also, is there a ball park dollar amount I'm looking at (obviously it varies).

Oh and if this has already been answered or there is somewhere I can go which kinda walks through the whole process I'd be greatly appreciative to be pointed there.

Thank you kindly for all help.

If it's an xs650 you want, buy a runner from somebody reliable and run it for a while. As time goes by and you want to make some change ups you'll have a good base to start with. Any problems that you may encounter along the way can be remedied through this forum. Post your location in your settings, might be a friendly contact near by.
Ah, youth......

It's pretty involved but some have done it in the kitchen with little more than a hacksaw. +1 one get whatever you get running GOOD before the hacking begins.

The REAL WORLD process?
1. Buy a non runner
2. tear it to pieces, label nothing, take no pictures.
3. grind off all kinds of stuff
4. buy lots of brand new shiny parts
5 find out there ARE NO instructions
6 find out this stuff is hard to do and requires patience and bunch of new skills that take time, money and EFFORT to learn.
6 kind of bodge it together
7 figure out the PO sold it for FOR A GOOD REASON and it is going to take another large pile of cash to get it running right.
8 loose interest
9 watch it gradually head deeper in the the round tuit pile
10 sell it cheap on craigslist when the creditors come calling or a shiny new toy needs cash.

This is the story way more times than the sharp looking completed bobber you see in a thread here or elsewhere. Not sayin' don't do it but it's big project for sure. Learn the basics by getting a "used to run" running and riding right then think about customizing.

Thanks for the advice! I've had similar issues with fire wood as you suggest I may with my budget. I was thinking around $3000? But I'm not crazy to buy one and jump in? I'm just worried I'll be biting off more than I can chew.

Hey, saw a bobber and fell in love.

Your best bet is to buy that one or another one ready made. A good one represents a lot of years of work, including failure. If you as somebody who's wondering if he's biting off more than he can chew try it, you'll be biting off more than you can chew. Buy one, learn about it, and do one of your own in five or ten years if you still have the bug.

Gary's post there is real wise. He says it will get sold for junk, and I say it ends up rusting away in the weeds out back of the house.

You wouldn't paint your own paintings and show them around town without a few years of experience if you have any discretion at all. You might never be that good in fact.

I understand what your saying but I've been interested in projects of this nature for awhile but with school and what have you I haven't had the chance. The other issue is, I am always using "I don't have enough experience" as a reason not to do things of this nature. At some point I need to get the experience right? At some point I am going to need to face those inevitable failures you talk about.

do it, BUT if dont have a fat ass wallet and a welder (and know how to use it) its going to be a long painfull process.

i have a little over 2 grand invested. 1 year 8 months and 25 days into mine. its currently in pieces once again waiting on funds. with about 10-20 miles on it. the last month has been the hardest, because i know its rideable. all thats left is insurance and registration, and some saftey stuff. wheel bearing, steering neck bearings and some little welding stuff. ive had about 3 "last" orders from mikesxs, it all adds up.

if you have a little bit of confidence/time/spare money/tools/internet connection/money you will be fine.

Buy a runner, have it gone over by a proper motorcycle mechanic and WATCH WHAT HE DOES. Get a manual, buy a lot of metric tools, and ride it for a year or so. You can of course do things like different handlebars, lights, paint and such as you go. Trouble shoot any problems by asking the gurus here. If your gonna go hardtail then unless you really know how to weld get a professional to do it, dying aint fun. Prepare for rage inducing FAILS. Most of all be patient, and DO IT!!!!!!

At some point I am going to need to face those inevitable failures you talk about.

Make them recoverable failures that eventually give success, that contribute to your cumulative knowledge. Fail replacing a seal so you learn what not to do to a seal. Don't cut the top off your car to learn that you don't have the skill to turn it into a decent looking convertible :)

When I know I don't have the skill to do something, I don't jump in anyway and drown. What I do instead is break it down into parts, learn the skills needed for each part, and then try it, so there's a reasonable chance of success.

Motorcycle wise, that would mean a few years of ownership and maintenance, a welding class or two, a design class or two, and whatever else it takes.

My advice for you is to buy a runner...then do it up one step at a time..do your research, get the manuals. You are asking all the right questions...these motors are easy to work on.
Have fun......

I had the same idea as you when I bought my bike 12 years ago and wouldn't even attempt to discourage you. But I will give you free advice, the same advice I give to the guys at work that want to build their own bike. Because of other commitments I've been working on my bike on and off for over 12 years and it is only now almost road ready. With that in mind it's almost winter and there are still a million things I want to tweak or things that in hindsight I would have done different. That is to say the build is never, ever really done. A lot of us here enjoy wrenching as much as we do riding; if that's the case you are in the right spot but plan on doing a lot of reading and keeping a lot of notes.

1) You need to decide if you want to ride a bike or build a bike. They are two different things.
2) Find something running with a title and make your changes over the winter or when you don't plan to ride.
3) Start a project binder with Hints, Tips, Materials and other specifics. Collect these the same way you collect bike parts.
4) You can normally buy a good bike for cheaper than building your "perfect"bike. Consider getting on EBay and buying something that is ½ way there.
5) If $3000 is your budget expect to spend $6000....

You'll make lots of mistakes and it will require lots of patience. But when you come up for air you'll already be looking at the next challenge.

Again, thanks so much for everyone's advice. I think I'll try to get my paws on something which runs and is in reasonable shape. Until then I'm going to grab a manual (best to try to get an original or clymers, etc?) and give it a read through. And hopefully familiarize myself with this fascinating internal combustion engine I've taken for granted all these years.

A project binder is a great idea as I am already loading up my email with articles and links I'm sending myself haha. And I am Ok with building a bike as opposed to riding (well for a while at least). Insurance for a 21 male wanting a motorcycle isn't cheap these days anyways.

With school (chem eng) I haven't gotten to tinker for a long while.

6,000 dollars!!!! No way! I built my Shovelhead for less than that. So far my 1980 xs has cost me under 2500. It looks decent runs great and is a ton of fun to ride...with 38's and an exhaust system it goes like hell if I want it to...

Hey, saw a bobber and fell in love. I have been considering buying a bike for a while and just got a job which allows me to do so (I'm 21). I was originally thinking of just buying a newish harley or triumph but would love to get my hands dirty and be able to really call it mine. What I am wondering is just how involved is the process? I am fairly mechanically inclined (built go-karts and all that jazz when I was younger) but have limited work with proper bikes and cars as I've never owned one of my own, also never opened up an engine which is a big concern of mine. I am just wondering the basic process of chopping or bobbing (not sure if this is the correct lingo please ignore my ignorance). Also, is there a ball park dollar amount I'm looking at (obviously it varies).

Oh and if this has already been answered or there is somewhere I can go which kinda walks through the whole process I'd be greatly appreciative to be pointed there.

Thank you kindly for all help.

So far you're doing it right. Most of us started out acting as if we knew what we were doing. Most of us didn't know what we were doing and paid dearly.

Once you get in it you will either love it or hate it. Those of us who love it spend far too much on it. Those who hate it leave behind the dust covered rust buckets those of us who love it hope to find.

And don't start out on your dream bike-- start out on something cheap because you're going to break it and you'll probably crash it too. Just hope the crashes are light.

$6000 is fairly rich for this bike but I'd hate to calculate what I have into mine. AND YES some it was stupid money but hind sight is 20/20

- $800 for the bike.
- $600 for engine rebuild
- $250ish Vance and Hines exhaust
- $300ish Boyer ignition
- $400 misc parts from XS store
- $50 K&N air filter
- steel, welding material, gas, misc tools for the job $$$
- stupid seat off eBay $$
- Still want to upgrade brakes and electrical, maybe shocks.

Back