This project may be the death of me

Exploding Coffin Emporium

Day tight compartments
Reaction score
IMG_0883.JPG
I couldn't pass her up, it's the worst I've ever gotten myself into, but she's a dream of mine, and I will bring her back. The owners said it's scrap, my buddies scoffed, but underneath it all I can see where she started and how she'll get back there. 1947' Ford Pickup, day one

Very cool indeed - looks like something out of an old James Dean movie!

But really, THAT is what I like to see Exploding - a project into which you can sink your teeth....and a whole sh!tload of money. That old Ford will be super as a bike hauler someday. Just go steady on it and you'll get there.

A couple of things I noticed right off the bat....your RF tire needs a little air I would say, and there seems to be a fairly deep scratch on the passenger door.

....did it come with an engine?

Last edited:
Very cool indeed - looks like something out of an old James Dean movie! Now THAT is what I like to see Exploding - a project into which you can sink your teeth....and a whole sh!tload of money.

That old Ford will be super as a bike hauler someday. Just go steady on it and you'll get there.

A couple of things I noticed right off the bat....your RF tire needs a little air I would say, and there seems to be a fairly deep scratch on the passenger door.

....did it come with an engine?
Did not come with an engine, but I have a flathead from an older project I did that will fit perfectly. The goods- Frame, 3/4 of cab, bed, hood, workable fenders, trans cover. The bad- everything else. I'm a glutton for punishment, but I have done some pretty substantial restorations over the years on old fords and have a soft spot for them.
Bike and parts hauler is my exact plan, as much as I love building cars, bikes will always be my true romance and joy, my wife always jokes that if she ever left me the only thing I'd put up a fight about would be my xs650's, sad thing is she's right lol

I saw a commercial a long time ago for a parts store and the punch line fits:" ...there's nothing like towing home a new car"...
Are you keeping the 'patina', resto-mod, or total restoration? You said you had a flathead for her. I'd make everything new underneath, put the skin back on, and clear-coat it as is. She's beautiful, good luck!

Flathead V-8's rules! Rock on!

- - - my wife always jokes that if she ever left me the only thing I'd put up a fight about would be my xs650's, sad thing is she's right lol

Hi Explo,
in my divorce it wasn't a joke, it was reality. I got the bikes, the trailer and the old 1/4Ton. She got the musical instruments, the artwork and the new car.

It can be a long haul bringing a project vehicle back to life. It took 5 years to bring my 64 Beaumont from this state;

beaumont.jpg

To this state. It has to be a labor of love as you'll never recover all the money you spend on it.

swp122005-4.jpg

John
Looks great John! Yeah I agree it is a labor of love, I have the good fortune of working at a classic restoration shop as a part time job for the last decade, so my access to everything under the sun for doing this kind of work is at my disposal.
Hi Explo,
in my divorce it wasn't a joke, it was reality. I got the bikes, the trailer and the old 1/4Ton. She got the musical instruments, the artwork and the new car.
Never even thought about how much $$ I have wrapped up in drum equipment till you brought up instruments, that would be a hit to say the least

I contested her getting the car until I figured out it would take her and her kid away....

I got the guitars and violin, that's about it.
Scott

Hi Scott,
I was told these things by my divorce lawyer.
First, the warning:-
Any item you can't agree on will be sold and the money given to lawyers.
Then the anecdote:-
As an alternative to a forced sale a divorcing couple and a court official can go to where the disputed items are stored,
flip a coin to see who goes first then each in turn can pick one item at a time until the pile is all divided.
She won the toss and took his radial arm saw. Then he took her programmable swing-needle sewing machine - - -

Wow.... so many devorces ! I've been married for 45 years now and wouldn't traide it fer nuttin'!!!!!
My wife is the best thing that ever happened to me ! Seriously !
as fer the Truck...... buddy you got allot of work ahead of you ! but it could be the best you've ever had !
on big projects that seam like they will never get done,... I do this....... "do something each day on it,...WEATHER YOU WANT TO OR NOT ! and one day it will be done!....
that is no joke and it works .... if you take a day off take the day off after you do your one thing to the project.... keep after it and if you can do more than one thing thats great too but at least one thing each day... even if it's like removing a tail-light thats something....
or spending the day inside on the computer hunting up parts that qualifies as well but something !!!!!!!
believe it or not Most of my projects ( some huge too) were all done within a year, even remodling the kitchen !!!!!!!
ya see the trick is getting started each day,.... once your there working on it, you'll probably do something else too.... and it will be done in a very short time !
A Ranch works the same way, but is the most daunting project I have ever encountered...... there is alwayse something that needs done , its getting up and doing SOMETHING that is the hard part !. once you steel your self to the idea and do it,..... things start happening fast !
a tip from a fella that's been there done that.... and having trouble with the get up and go.... because it got up and went ! LOL
later....
Bob.........

LOL Yes ! see you have already learned that getting after it get's the job DONE !!!!
Bob........

When I get in a rut over a project it helps to organize and pick up tools, organize parts, sweep the floor, before I know it I'm getting something worthwhile done.

I should go out to the shop and take my own advice right now.

Scott
I've been doing that same thing a bit lately, organizing and cleaning the garage, always leads me in a good direction when I don't know where to start

She sure is Exploding! From what I can see, you've pumped up that low tire and it looks like you have begun to buff out some of the scratches in the paint on that door - well done!

.....and, she's off the flatbed and into the shop....and that means, she's home.

Cheers,

Pete

Back